Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Tab Order of Objects within Diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristal9

Programmer
Feb 15, 2007
US
Hi,

I am trying to convert several Visio diagrams to be 508 compliant. (They must be easily read by someone who may be visually impaired)

One of the criteria is that they must be in correct logical tab order for the components of a diagram. Should a user navigate the process flow by using the TAB key, it should follow the diagram in left to right read order.

Each of the Visio files I am working with are in the tab order of how the user created them. E.g. If first he drew the Decision box, then the header, then the process the tab order follows that path. It should read: header, decision, process.

In Powerpoint, i know that you can select each object and "send to back" or "bring to front" to manipulate the tab order. The same does not see to work inside Visio.

How can I change the tab order without recreating each diagram in Tab order?

You can right click the tab and you will get a menu that includes reorder.

John... Visio MVP - Visio.MVPs.org

Hi John! Thanks for that... but that will re order a multipage document within the Visio project.

I am speaking specifically about the shapes inside the diagram itself on a single page. I am sorry I was not more clear in my explanation above.

So that - for example - when I select the "Header" shape and then using the TAB button on my keyboard, the select will navigate through the the various shape components on the diagram in sequential order. That is what I meant when referring to "tab order" not the tabs within the project that represent different pages.

My issue is that when I use the tab key to navigate, it is out of proper read order.

Any help on changing how the tab key will navigate the shapes inside a page would be so much help.

thanks!

Okay, start with the shape you want to be first and click send to back. Then repeat for all the shapes. You can fine tune the order by clicking send back or send forward.

John... Visio MVP - Visio.MVPs.org

Yep. That's the way it ought to work and the way that other Microsoft applications (such as Powerpoint as noted in my first post) seem to work. It does not appear to have any effect inside Visio.

Is there an alternative?
Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back