Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing switch IP address using Hyperterminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DryNetNick

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2009
GB
I need to add a Cisco Catalyst 3750 switch to a stack, but need to change its IP address before doing so, but is this possible to do using Hyperterminal? If so, can you tell me the commands?

I know I could do it normally through the express mode config page, but I cannot access it.

Many thanks in advance.

If you are adding it to a switch stack then you really should wipe it's config completly (wr erase / erase start). It will then join the stack as a stack member and take the config from the master.

Chris.

Chris A.C, CCNA, CCSA

The previous poster is correct , do a write erase on the 3750 and reload the switch . "Do not cable the switch to the existing stack powered up !! Once it is booted turn it back "off" and cable it up to the existing stack . You do not configure the switch that you are adding to the stack . You have to telnet into the existing stack or console into the stackmaster switch and configure the new switch from there which will only consist of configuring the ports on that switch that you added , nothing else needs to be done.

en
sh ip int brief
conf t
int [vlan id | interface xxx | bvi y]*
no ip address [existing address] [subnet]
ip address [new one] [subnet]
ctrl+z
copy run start

not sure how the 3750 works. its either on a vlan, a bvi, or an interface.. "|" means OR

and yeah erase the config if you can,
however sometimes all you are 'allowed by the boss' is to change the IP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back