Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing subform's RecordSource errors out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blarson0

Programmer
Jun 12, 2002
US
Hi! I am trying to change the RecordSource for a subform based on what the user chooses from a combo box. code looks like this:

Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT LeftAssy FROM [Job Q] WHERE ( JOB = '" & Me![Combo0] & "' )")
If (rst!LeftAssy = "78364") Then
Me.RecordSource = "BTB Pick List Q"
sqlst = &quot;SELECT [Pick List].JOB, [Pick List].QNTY, Classification.[PART NO], Classification.DESCRIPTION, Classification.Class, Classification.Link, Classification.OP FROM [Pick List] INNER JOIN Classification ON [Pick List].COMPONENT = Classification.[PART NO] WHERE ((([Pick List].QNTY)<>0) AND ((Classification.Class)=&quot; & Chr$(34) & &quot;Major&quot; & Chr$(34) & &quot;) AND ((Classification.OP)=10)) OR ((([Pick List].QNTY)<>0) AND ((Classification.Class)=&quot; & Chr$(34) & &quot;Subassy&quot; & Chr$(34) & &quot;) AND ((Classification.Link)<>[Part No]) AND ((Classification.OP)=10));&quot;
ElseIf (rst!LeftAssy = &quot;70160&quot;) Then
Me.RecordSource = &quot;160 Pick List Q&quot;
sqlst = &quot;SELECT [Pick List].JOB, [Pick List].QNTY, [160 Classification].[PART NO], [160 Classification].DESCRIPTION, [160 Classification].Class, [160 Classification].Link, [160 Classification].OP FROM [Pick List] INNER JOIN [160 Classification] ON [Pick List].COMPONENT = [160 Classification].[PART NO] WHERE ((([Pick List].QNTY)<>0) AND (([160 Classification].Class)=&quot; & Chr$(34) & &quot;Major&quot; & Chr$(34) & &quot;) AND (([160 Classification].OP)=10)) OR ((([Pick List].QNTY)<>0) AND (([160 Classification].Class)=&quot; & Chr$(34) & &quot;Subassy&quot; & Chr$(34) & &quot;) AND (([160 Classification].Link)<>[Part No]) AND (([160 Classification].OP)=10));&quot;
ElseIf (rst!LeftAssy = &quot;70360&quot;) Then
Me.RecordSource = &quot;360 Pick List Q&quot;
sqlst = &quot;SELECT [Pick List].JOB, [Pick List].QNTY, [360 Classification].[PART NO], [360 Classification].DESCRIPTION, [360 Classification].Class, [360 Classification].Link, [360 Classification].OP FROM [Pick List] INNER JOIN [360 Classification] ON [Pick List].COMPONENT = [360 Classification].[PART NO] WHERE ((([Pick List].QNTY)<>0) AND (([360 Classification].Class)=&quot; & Chr$(34) & &quot;Major&quot; & Chr$(34) & &quot;) AND (([360 Classification].OP)=10)) OR ((([Pick List].QNTY)<>0) AND (([360 Classification].Class)=&quot; & Chr$(34) & &quot;Subassy&quot; & Chr$(34) & &quot;) AND (([360 Classification].Link)<>[Part No]) AND (([360 Classification].OP)=10));&quot;
End If
[Forms]![major 10 fm].RecordSource = sqlst

I am getting an error on the [Forms]![major 10 fm].RecordSource line. Error is #2450: Can't find the form 'Major 10 fm' refered to in code.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Brad

Remember, you are dealing with a record source for a subform.
You do not refer directly to the form, but to the subform container on the main form. The subform container usually is defined as childXXXX where XXXX is a number. I usually set a child forms container to child0, or, if it is a subform within a subform, child1.

To change the record source, the syntax is

Me.child0.SourceObject = &quot;your source object&quot; Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

Thanks for the reply Robert. I don't think that SourceObject is the variable I am looking for. I need to change the data that the subform uses, but keep the same subform. I guess I could make a different subform for each set of data, but it would be much better if I could do it dynamically.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Brad

Brad,

Actually, your terminology is fine. But, before we get into full detail here I don’t think you mentioned what version of Access you are using. If you are using A2K or above it is not a problem. A97 has a problem changing the source object or record set associated with an active form.

So, since this explanation may get a bit lengthy, let me know what version of Access you are using. If you are using A97, if I still had A97 I would be willing to help you, but I no longer have it, so I will defer to someone who can actually prove their actions <sigh>. If you have at least A2K, we can do this.
Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

unfortuantly, we are still using 97... I think I will make multiple subforms. It will only be 6 more, not that big of a deal. Thanks for the help!

-Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back