Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing start-up order in Win98 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnasty

Technical User
Nov 27, 2004
US
Hi everyone, I'm the new kid on the block:

I recently ran into a problem w/Verizon.

I was a Windows user since 3.1, and eventually migrated to Nix (around the Red Hat 6.0 release) and have been using that ever since - until this problem, that is....

Rather than type it out rote, the reference link to another thread about this is here:

And, after seven brand new systems the problem still exists.

So - now I have to fine tune the Win98 system, and I'm stuck - how do I manage what starts up first, so that things like WinPOET starts after zone alarm ??

98 doesn't use config.sys and autoexec, so just where do I make the changes ??

Anyone ??

Help, please ....

Gnasty

Hello Gnasty,

If you mean the start order of applications placed under the startup folder, it is basically alphabetical order. To get a custom control on the order, rename the shortcut so as to reflect the order you desire to have. Check out ms article:

regards - tsuji

Thanks for the quick reply tsuji:

All I have in my start-up folder is bit defender for Yahoo Messenger.

I'm sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough - I want to set my AV to priority=0, and Zone Alarm to=1, and everything else to start up and run after that....

Gnasty,

So you mean you do not have AV and ZoneAlarm and/or WinPOET(?) shortcuts placed in the startup folder?

- tsuji

No - they start-up as the system boots into the first screen

As they do, they show up in the start bar (on the right, by the clock), then bit defender runs.

:)

I remember quite a bit, having used windows for so long, I just can't remember where to set my start-up priorities....

I think it might have been one of the HKEY files in my Registry - I just can't remember which one....

Gnasty,

Okay, look into the run key.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

It should then be in there. Also check HKCU is it is per user based.

- tsuji

tsuji:

OK, here's what happened:

In:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

There is the following:

(Default) (value not set)
ScanRegistry "C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun"
SystemTray "SysTray.Exe"
TaskMonitor "C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe"
TDS3 "C:\PROGRAM FILES\TDS3\TDS-3.exe"
Zone Labs Client ""C:\Program Files\VerizonDSL\WinPOET\WinPPPoverEthernet.exe"
WinPOET ""C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe""

It wouldn't take another entry, but, there was a "Run" entry and a "Run-" entry, so I:

I removed line 5 (Zone Lab Client) from the Run File, and re-established it in the next file (Run-) as the last line logged-in... which now reads:

Spybot SnD ""C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYBOT - SEARCH AND DESTROY\SPYBOTS.EXE /autofix""
WinPOET """C:\Program Files\VerizonDSL\WinPOET\WinPPPoverEthernet.exe""

That caused the start-up routine to run:

1)SpyBot.exe
2)WinPPPoverEthernet.exe

and nothing else at the start-up routine.

I can now, when I'm ready to surf, manually run WinPOET, and then the Verizon Dialer, which is OK with me... :)

As for HKCU, there was no "run" entry, but the dual "run" and "run-" entries in CV\Run seems to serve the same function...

Thanks - it was driving me crazy that something was loading before my AV program....

Thanks tsuji....

:)

Gnasty

Gnasty,

Thanks for sharing the problem and resolution.

But, one thing I don't get is your listing. Is it a kind of typo that the value name and value do not accord, and look like permuted?
[sub][tt]Zone Labs Client ""C:\Program Files\VerizonDSL\WinPOET\WinPPPoverEthernet.exe" [red]why WinPOET here?[/red]
WinPOET ""C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"" [red]why ZA here?[/red]
[/tt][/sub]

For win9x it seems that the order of execution is established per the order of these values are created. When exporting the key run say, the listing order will not alphabetically ordered as displayed in the gui in regedit. If you use .reg to "delete" the value then re-establish the value in the order you desire, it would probably have an impact on the startup order. Something like this.
Code:
REGEDIT4

"Zone Labs Client"=-
"WinPOET"=-

"Zone Labs Client"="C:\\Progra~1\\Zone Labs\\ZoneAlarm\\zlclient.exe"
"WinPOET"="C:\\Progra~1\\VerizonDSL\\WinPOET\\WinPPPoverEthernet.exe"
This may have the effect of sorting the loading order.

As to why spypot suddenly becomes involved, I do not quite get it. But, it doesn't matter.

- tsuji

That's the way they installed themselves.

The whole point was to force WinPOET to run last, so Zone Alarm had higher priority.

I've discovered that anything started up prior to Zone Alarm (imho) appears to not be monitored by Zone Alarm, and I'm trying to toughen up security on the win box....

microsoft has yet to produce anything I would trust to be secure......

Gnasty

Gnasty;
notes --
ZoneAlarm loads 2 System services and loads it's startup item in the C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp folder..not to be ofund in the REG on line, but the RunServices Kety and the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell Folders key contains the pointer for ZA App EXE , as to where to find it (the PATH)...
As far as i know - the "RunServices" key loads before any of the RUN keys, and they all run in separate threads....Start > Run MSinfo32 >> Software Environment >> Startup Programs will list the "Loaded From" area.

To Add a Key to \RUN, \RunServices, \RunOnce etc keys
Right click any blank area in the Right Pane and choose New > String Value - then Name it (for Name) and right click on the newly named string value and choose MODIFY to alter/create the Path entry of the startup item.

the RUN- (a hypen after it) key exists ONLY if you've Disabled any startup items, and they are then moved over to this key , WHILE Disabled only....if you re-enable them, they'll be moved out of the run- key and into the appropriate RUN key.

Do you have User Profiles Enabled?

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back