Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Sharepoint Server Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjblanch

Programmer
Jan 16, 2003
AU
Hi all,

I have recently upgraded my server and I am trying to move all of the services from my old box (server1) to the new box (also called server1).

When I try and restore from the Sharepoint Data Backup and Restore program, I keep getting the error "the current system locale is different from the system locale in the backup." I know that both boxes have been set up the same, but cannot get it to work.

I have also tried to restore from the command line with using stsadm.exe -o restore -overwrite (yes i know there is stuff in the middle) but this keeps coming up with an error of "the website address http:\\server1 is already in use."

Can anyone point me in the direction of a step by step guide of how to move from old server to new server as I am getting nowhere fast.

Thanks.

Hi,

"the current system locale is different from the system locale in the backup." - could indicate that the language versions do not match (not entirely sure about this).
The site languages must match so make sure the correct language packs are installed on the new server.

As to you second error, the site is in use! :) To restore (with STSADM) to a server this virtual webserver (also known as a website in IIS) must be empty only extend it dont create a site so NOT like with smigrate where you have to create an empty site.

It might give problem if you try to change the structure with you restore, example the original site was under and you try to migrate/restore to You should then prob restore to know not a valid adress :))

I also ust STSADM for backups and restores:
Backup:
stsadm.exe -o backup -url -filename c:\backup.dat

Restore:
stsadm.exe -o restore -url -filename c:\backup.dat

So try the port number too i might help.

Hope that this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back