Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing Search options in Customer card

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolineS

Programmer
Aug 31, 2001
CA
I'm trying to find ways to optimize searching capabilities in the Customer card. I know that I can add fields to search on in the Advanced Lookups setup - but these added fields show up below a list of seemingly pre-defined fields to search on.

These pre-defined fields are also the choices in the drop-down menu next to the browse buttons at the bottom left of the customer card.

I would like to change these. Any idea how? These pre-defined search fields seem to be much faster at returning data than clicking on Additional Sorts.... and then choosing a field that I have addes. Our db has perhaps 100,000 customers, and attempting to use the Additional Sorts... selection usually freezes for quite some time.

Anyone know how I can get at those "pre-defined fields"?

Hi Caroline,

I dont think you can change the sort options on the debtor card or the drop down list on the window. Also because of the way dynamics is written there are only a few indexs on the debtor master file. The only way to sort in a different manner would be to use pass through SQL in dex. This way you could sort and filter exactly as you wanted and display the results in a window in dynamics. Without going into to much detail I dont think this would be too difficult, although you would need to be familier with dex and SQL.

Cheers,
JMG

Thanks for this info - not encouraging news as I'd hoped, but it does make sense.

I'm not familiar with dex but will look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back