Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing 'Return_path' header

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freemansweb

Technical User
Aug 26, 2003
US
I am running Linux, Postfix, and Cyrus imapd. Using SquirrelMail, or a mail client outbound mail contains the 'Return_path XXX@XXX.com', and the address is correct. The problem is that I am running a Wap script for wireless web email, and it accesses the mail for reading correctly and will send mail, but only to a domain that is served by the host machine. The script uses imap for sending mail and the 'Return_path is output, so I can't send mail to external domains. Changing the server name directive in Cyrus creates all sorts of problems, so for the moment that's out. I'd like to map the to a valid email address for outbound mail. I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

To answer my own question, I entered the following in my sender_canonical file.

XXX@XXX.com

This changes the 'Return_path to 'Return_path XXX@XXX.com' and external domains accept the mail.

Next question, sending mail via command line.
There seems to be a -u option to change the user name from the logged user to another user. The syntax might be:
'mail webmaster@xxx.com -u different-user'.
After entering the above, I have 'Subject:' displayed but I can't get any farther.

Any Ideas!

Thanks

printf "Subject: $SUBJECT\n\n$TEXXXXXT\n.\n" | mail ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back