Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Report Output to a New Drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

horna

Programmer
Jan 29, 2002
US
I am working with Seagate Info 7.0. I recreated the directories, Si\Cache, Si\Input, and Si\Output on my larger D Drive. The reason being my C Drive is down to 50MB.
When I run a report, I check the Output and Cache folder, and the file is there. Looks OK.
Problem is the report will not view, AND if I choose the print option instead of disk, then I get no printout, and an error message of "No Response".
Besides creating the directories, AND changing the direction in Seagate Administrator, is there anything else I have to change in order to make this work.
Thanks very much for your help.

Thanks for the update. I moved my Cache, and Output from my C drive to my D drive(same physical drive).
When I run a report, it stores it in the new location (both Cache and Output), but when I try and use the view option, it does not display the report. I get the hourglass, and that's it.
Also, when I run a report, printing directly to a printer, I still get the message "No response".
Help!

Thanks for your assistance.

I guess this is using Info Viewer. If you toggle Page on Demand off, so that your default viewer is Info Analyzer, do you see the report, or do you end up with an Invalid File Handle error?

Naith

I run the report, and when I receive the "Success" status, I right mouse click the report, then pick View. It does not work with "View with Seagate Analyst" either.
Where is the toggle "Page on Demand"?
One last thing. If I switch back to the original folder on the C Drive, then the View works.

Thanks again for your help.

I don't use Seagate Info anymore, but if memory serves, the Page on Demand option should be in the Options menu on the desktop.

Naith

Have you resolved your problem yet?

If not can you provide information as to which patch level you are at, 7.0.2.0, 7.0.2.100, 7.0.2.200? Also, have you applied any intermediate patches to your APS, InfoServer, or other components. Which Desktop are you using, Windows, Java, HTML, etc. and which of the Info viewers.

We have run reports that have run into the hundreds of pages with no problems, and I know of a site that runs reports of thousands of pages in length with no problems.

I suspect you are having a fundamental configuration problem.

One of the things that we have done is moved the "TEMP" directory from the default location to its own directory on the D: drive, e.g. D:\TEMP and then defined the TEMP and TMP enviroment variables for the Seagate services account to point to that directory. The APS will shut down if the free disk space drops to low, by default 20% of total drive space, and this includes the space chewed up by TEMP. (You should also clean out OLD garbage left in temp on a periodic basis; but be careful, Seagate writes information to TEMP before posting it to the CINFODB just in case the DB connection get broken.)

If you still have your problem I will try to reply by this time tomorrow.

No, this is still unresolved.

Thanks for adding your information.

I am running the free version of Seagate Info, and have never added any patches, although it probably would be a good idea. I am running Desktop from Windows.

Where do I redefine the TEMP and TMP environment variables?

Thanks again for your help.

Exactly what do you mean by the "free version" of Seagate Info? Do you mean the "Dog Disk" version, the one with the Product Key Code of 37080-6990-00507501 printed on the face of the CD, along with that of a close up of a black lab. If this is the case you should have version 7.0.100.41, with which I have no personal experience but I still may be able to help.

If this is not the version that you are using you can get the version number from the Info Administrator. Select the Help menu, then choose About Seagate Info.... The version information will be on the second line, the generic or Product version is first followed by the application specific or CI version

Redefining the TEMP and TMP variables
First create the new temp directory, we used D:\SI_TEMP.

I assume that you are using Windows NT version 4.0. If so then you can set the environment variables by right-clicking on the My Computer icon and selecting the Environment tab in the System Properties dialog. Find the Temp variable in the list of System Variables and select it. The variable name and value will appear in the text boxes at the bottom of the window, you can change the value to the new drive/directory combination and then set the value. Repeat the process for the TMP variable. It may be necessary to restart the system for these to take effect.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I believe that it is working now. Every report is now getting stored on the D Drive, which has the most free disk space. This has helped with the printing of daily, weekly, and quarterly reports. I can also now save old reports in case anyone needs a quick copy.
Thanks again for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back