Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EscapeUK

Programmer
Jul 7, 2000
GB
I have a table that contains a set of areas

ID Text
1 Area1
2 Area2
3 Area3
4 Area4
5 Area5
6 Area6

What I would like to do is alter that table so that area1,2 now become area1, area3 and 4 become area2 and areas 5 and 6 become area 2.

The people who would be doing this do not have much access skills so is there an easy way of doing this. As there are hundreds of areas to change and the link to other tables.

ta

Hi Escape...
I think the first thing I would do is make a "safety" field right beside your Area text field just as a guide. In the table view copy the entire column and paste it in to the new one.
Now as your differences are random we'll do this somewhat manually: In your Area field do a find/replace Area1 with "Escape". Do a find/replace Area2 with "Escape". Do a find/replace Area3 with "UK". Same again for Area4...Do you see what we're doing? Once all your areas are renamed and you're happy with the results, do a find/replace for "Escape" and change it to Area2 and so on. All done? Delete that "safety" field. This goes a lot faster than you think it might, and although there are programmatic ways to approach this, this is a method anyone can use. Enjoy!
Gord
ghubbell@total.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back