Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing PuTTy hotkeys for SX2000 data entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbMitel

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA
I need to make a significant number of ARS entries on an SX2000

To insert a line I need to press Ctrl-J, type INS, then enter, then type the dial string, tab, tab, List ,2, enter, esc-4, esc-1

I want to configure a hotkey or hotkeys to do most of that with one key stroke.

Google has failed me, it shows hotkeys can be set but I seem to have a different version

Does anyone know how to define hotkeys in PuTTy for the free downloadable version?

May not be able to do it directly in puTTY, but I was able to do something similar many moons ago using AutoHotKey.

Yeah, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that PuTTy doesn't have it.

I'm more than a little nervous about running scripts.

One by one it is I guess.

I did find that I could insert many lines in a row quite quickly using ESC CTRL-J. From there it's just typing and tabbing.

Thanks

KWB
Found this on Putty website:

summary: Scripting support in PuTTY
class: wish: This is a request for an enhancement.
difficulty: tricky: Needs many tuits.
depends: mdpi
blocks: putty-screen-frontend url-launching
priority: low: We aren't sure whether to fix this or not.

Many people would find it useful for PuTTY to have a general scripting mechanism. There are a lot of uses for something like this:

Automating movement through menu systems on servers.
Assigning common commands to function keys.
For MUD users: being able to set up triggers so that PuTTY automatically sends commands when particular events happen on the server.
Chaining connections. For example, the recommended way to connect to Monochrome BBS is to make a preliminary Telnet connection to a central server which will tell you which of the usable machines has the lowest load, and then to make a Telnet or SSH connection to that machine. A scripting facility would allow PuTTY to do things like this automatically.
Remembering your password for you. (Obviously we don't recommend you do this, on security grounds; but in one or two situations it might be helpful.)
Implementing key-mapping fully generally.
Performing arbitrary transformations on clipboard contents.

We do have a scripting language half-way written for this purpose, though it's unclear when (if) it will ever be finished.

A scripting language is liable to be a fairly big piece of code, so the language interpreter might end up having to be implemented as a DLL plugin. Hence this feature is dependent on us creating a DLL plugin interface first.

Again, I use ProComm for most of the 2k access; scripting is available in it. I tried sending a copy to you via email but the file size is way too nig. I'm going to try and get it to my FTP server; I'll get back to you.

It's been suggested by several people that using the underlying OS's built-in scripting mechanisms might help. A problem with this is that it prevents PuTTY scripts being portable between OSes, which in turn means that we can't use the scripting language to implement any of PuTTY itself.

I suppose you're entitled to your opinion, I'm just not going to suppose very hard.

Thanks for the offer of procomm nytalkin, I know how to use it and would prefer it.

That being said, The server it would need to be loaded on is customer owned, Windows 2003 server, and tightly controlled for installing programs. Putty was installed before I arrived so Putty is what I have to work with.

Thanks for the insights on the putty development roadmap. If I knew how to add my name to the request, I would.

In the meantime, I'm getting comfortable adding ARS entries one at a time. I'm finding some efficiencies that make that process not as onerous as it might have been.

I'm practicing with some local dialing patterns that are currently missing. Speed and Accuracy is important because I'll be doing this in the middle of the night when phones are being converted over to Cisco. It seems to be going well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back