Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing properties on a form for another form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis33

Programmer
Nov 20, 2000
US
I have a database that I need to change the properties of command buttons based on the input of a user. I have a main form that pops up when the database is open and asks the user to enter a password. Based on that password the user will have rights to other forms. What code do I need to write to change the properties of buttons on different forms from my main form? the code I use for the buttons on my main form are me.command1.enabled = true that works but if I try to change the properties for buttons on other forms
it will not let me. How can I do this? Thank You so much

Travis

declare a global variable depending on how many different types of users you have

the easiest way would be to declare a string and have a table to cross reference usernames passwords and security priveleges

on open of every form do a select statement
eg.
Module 1
dim global UserType as string
function Startup()
docmd.openform "frmLogin", vbModal
end function

in your autoexec macro just runcode startup

then in your login form after they enter their username and password first check to make sure it's the right password then check their usertype and make
UserType = whatever is in the table for that user

on open of every form

select case UserType
case "Admin"
everything.visible = true or
everything.enabled = true

case "Bookeeper"
bookeeping.visible or enabled = true
everythingelse.visible or enabled = false

and so on for every type of user you have
end select

Hope this helps.