Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

64AMD

Technical User
Mar 15, 2007
US
I have just installed Ubuntu Server. I am using the KDE desktop.

I have a second hard drive installed, partitioned, formated and mounted. The problem is even when I give the command to chace permissions either individual owner or group I get the error Operation not permitted

I get this weather I type in sudo chown -R USERNAME:USERNAME /media/mynewdrive (replaceing username with the username I want to have permission)

I also get the same error if I type sudo chgrp plugdev /media/mynewdrive (the first of three commands to change group permissions.

I would rather change group permissions.

If it matters the drive is formated FAT32, only because it was recommended because I will be sharing on a windows network.

I have been following the directions at the following link

FAT32 has no concept of user/group permissions. The recommendation of FAT32 is if you are PHYSICALLY sharing a drive between Windows/Linux machines or are dual-booting. When sharing a drive via a network i.e. SAMBA, the client (Windows) doesn't access the shared drive/folder directly.

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

Also make sure you are root when you change permissions. As root give permissions to everyone; or change the owner to your account that you use.

/*******************************

DragonForce
-Is it wrong to be strong
*******************************/

I was under the impression the root account was disabled by default in Ubuntu, you have to use the sudo commands to activate it.

# sudo passwd root

That will enable the root pw to be different than the users. That's the first thing I do once I load Ubuntu.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back