Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing outbound dialing prefix 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernardj

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2014
CA
Hi, we are planning to change the dialing prefix from 9 to 8 (IP 500 V2). Does it require to reboot the server? Will it cause some disruptions during the change?
Thanks in advanced for answers.

No, it doesn't need a reboot.

Yes, it will cause disruptions. Users will invariably attempt to dial 9 for an outside line, and become frustrated with the change as users are wont to do. Also, you will need to ensure any system or user shortcodes are adjusted, as well as any off-site AA transfers, any user forwarding, and any twinning.

- Qz

Be sure you add a system short code for 911, so that your users can dial either 911 or 8-911 for emergency services. Remove the "11" short code from the ARS table so 811 doesn't call 911.

You can set it parallel to test everything until you delete the 9N shortcode

there are potentially better ways to deal with spurious 911 calls than changing the prefix to dial out.

1. in ARS, add ; after the 11 entry
2. add a new 11N entry = call barred.

thus.

1, if user dials 911, they are connected after the dial delay timer expires (4 seconds by default). This timer can be shortened on the ARS, but the shorter you make it, the less effective the change is at barring spurious E911 calls.
2. 9+911 works as before, immediate connection
3. 911+ any other digits is barred (whee-whaa tone)

In my experience this deals with almost all spurious E911 calls, which are mostly caused by people either fat-fingering the 1 as they dial a LD call, or by dialing 9+1, then looking at the number, then dialing 1+800...etc.

GB

Greybeard has the perfect solution for the dilemma that is created by shaky fingers dialing long distance calls.

nice pink love from me

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

The changing the dialing prefix to 8, remove 11 line in ARS, add 911/dial emergency SC as a system SC is a more brute force and potentially more effective method than what I suggested...

You will only be able to reach 911 by dialing 911 or 8+911. But if changing the dialing prefix is found to be too extreme, or you're in a situation where extensions overlap 8+ etc., the above scenario works pretty well.

thanks for the pink.

GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back