Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing out Compact ICS cabinet 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgreen2

Programmer
Aug 10, 2002
US
This ICS system currently has a problem that causes all of the active conversations to be dropped simultaneously but the system does not reset. The user just gets an internal dial tone back in their ear, and they have to try multiple times to get an outside line again. I replaced the line card and that didn't help so I now have a new cabinet to replace the current one with.
My question is how can I perform this change in such a manner so as to minimize the chance I will loose the programming? I was told by someone that there is a good chance I will loose the programming and that really worries me because I did not originally set this system up and I will have a difficult time getting everything back to its original configuration.

You could use NRU and backup dbase or get printout of config.

On the CICS the program is stored in the KSU. The software is on the pcmia card.

I would get printout of dbase. Install new system and input new data. I would not reload dbase, the problem could be a corrupt file and you are just reloading it.

Have you tried rebooting system? This sometimes clears some strange problems.

Could be buggy software. You should try replacing just the PCMCIA card first if you have one available. Just be sure to replace with a version that is at the same release or higher. If you replace with a lower release the system will default programming. If you have a backup with NRU you are OK as you can restore your database in case of loss of programming. As Executone stated, programming is stored on the CICS, not the software card.

Brian Cox
J & J Communications
brian@jandjcommunications.com

I appreciate these responses, I did not realize that only the software was on the pcmcia card. I do not have another software card to try replacing, but I'm sure if the problem persists after the cabinet is replaced my supplier will send me one to try. Is NRU a software program? How/Where do I get it to back up the programming?

NRU - Norstar Remote Utilities is a software program you would purchase from your supplier. You load it onto a PC there in your office. You would then buy a FastRAD. (Remote Access Device) Go out to the customer site and install it (the RAD) on a station port off of the phone system. Then using the NRU on the remote PC you can 'call' into the phone system using the Back up & Restore tool on the NRU and back up the system to the remote PC. When needed you can call back into the new cabinet and restore the old programming to the new cabinet.

Beware that you can only restore same level software to same level software. So for instance if you needed to back up your existing programming so that you can change out the cabinet and software then you can restore the 4.0 software back up to a new cabinet with new 4.0 software.

But you would not be able to back up 4.0 software and then restore it to 6.0 software. See?

MRoberts
mroberts@americaii.com

MR,
Is there any indication of change with your above post? Where we will have the ability to go up or down the Release levels with backed up info?

PhM

MR,
Thanks. I think. I was fussing with the workbooks to see if I could copy from one template to another. No success, but don't think I covered all the possibilities yet.
:}

PhM

Some of the replies here made me ask more questions about the CICS software and my supplier asked for the S/W version and WI version etc. to look into that being an issue. They (my supplier) said that some releases of CICS software could cause such a problem as I am having. They will also be able to tell if this system can utilize the I-RAD and if so they will help me get a backup of the programming. Thanks for all of the replies, I will let you know how this turns out.

FYI, CICS 4.1, WI 6.15

CICS comes with an IRAD and without...it will say if it came with one right on the software itself.
It is possible if it came without to put one in via a keycode.
If you have access to config programming you can tell if has one installed by looking to see if you can change the modem speed or have the RAD answer a particular line.

Good idea for vendors to keep a spare copy of each software for situations like this if the onsite software is flaky.
Do a backup, switch to spare software (of same rls), upload, then upgrade to newer software.

Most of the time I have cleared bugs by doing the system startup and reprogramming the KSU.

Cheers

spoclogo2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back