Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

???changing OS from 98 to XP pro 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddOne

Programmer
Jul 20, 2001
US
hello...i am a programmer with little knowledge when it comes to file systems and installing a new OS. but anyway, i was putting XP pro on a friend's pc who was running win 98. when i completed i now had a partioned drive with 98 and XP. what would be the best way to get rid of the 98 OS???
is there some question during setup that i glossed over?
if i reinstall xp will i have the opportunity to drop both of the existing operation systems?

please help! i appreciate any advice!!
thanks in advance!!

Reboot your computer with the Windows XP CD in the CD drive.
The following message appears on a black screen with white letters: Press any key to boot from the CD.

Press the spacebar to boot to the Windows XP CD.
After several moments of initializing some modules, the Windows XP Setup screen appears.

Windows XP Home Edition Setup

Welcome to Setup.

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft<R> Windows<R> XP to run on your computer.

To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using
Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Enter=Continue R=Repair F3=Quit

Press the <Enter> key.
The Windows XP Licensing Agreement appears.

Read the license agreement.

Press the <F8> key to agree.
Setup will search for previous versions of Windows.

Windows XP Home Edition Setup

If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it.

Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an installation.

To repair the selected Windows XP installation,
press R.

To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.

C:\WINDOWS &quot;Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition&quot;

F3=Quit R=Repair ESC=Don't Repair

Press the <Esc> key
The partition screen appears.
You need to delete all existing partitions

NOTE: If you have a Disk 0 at Id 1 on bus 0, you may be viewing the partitions for your second hard drive. You do not have to delete any partitions on the second hard drive.

Use the arrow keys to highlight the partitions, and then press the <D> key.

Press the <Enter> key.

Press the <L> key to confirm deletion of the partition.

Use the arrow keys to highlight the Unpartitioned space.

Press the <Enter> key to install.
The message A new partition for Windows XP has been created on (hard drive size) MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
This partition must now be formatted.
appears.

Press the <Enter> key to start formatting.

NOTE: After completing the format, setup will examine your computer and copy files to the Windows installation folders. This process will take some time. Once it has completed, setup will initialize and then restart the computer.

Do not press any keys when the message Press any key to boot from the CD appears. Let Windows boot normally.

The amount of time it takes to complete the above process will vary depending upon the size of the hard drive and the speed of your system. You will not be prompted for anything during this time.

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
- Jeff Raskin [morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back