Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing of 10.10.1.1 default?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

epsison

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2003
PH
How do I change the default 10.10.1.1 which was assigned to my server? I configured it using the Windows 2000 Server Configuration wizard.

I defined my server to be the only server in the network. I already assigned a domain name but I haven't bought a domain name yet. Do I have to purchase/register the domain name? Will I encounter a problem when I implement the ICS since I really don't have a public domain name?

Looking forward to your tips and info. Thanks

Go in control panel - network Tcpip and change the address to anything you want.
Internally, you can use any domain name you want, you don't need to pay for that, but it is not a good idea to use a real one if that already exists.
You don't need a 'public' name to use ICS either.
As long as it is not registered, don't use it for mail though, you will never get the replies. If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

This is true but isnt it going to try to update records to it self ,if buy chance there is someone out there Running a similiar domain name ! Its possible i have seen it happen ! It Could send request and get replies from Another box running a registerd domain name
For instance for the heck of it i was running a dns server for lab reasons corvette.tony.com and man every tony.com out there has been trying to connect with me , if you do configure Dns make sure its some out of the normal name The chances are its out there somewhere over the Rainbow !
It might Bog down the box as well as cause unwaneted traffic and make anyfirewall program nuts !
Ow well hey it could happen !
Anthony Cabanas (MCSE Win 2K)
Network admin / Infrastructure designer / Security consultant
Long Island Networking Technologies Inc acabanas@linettech.com

That should not happens as long as your ISP does not allow you to write to their DNS, but then again, I've seen stranger things happen.
For best practice, if it is internal, call it mydomain.lan , that gets the confusion away. If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

Changing away from 10.10.1.0 ,1 etc is a real pain. (I always used 192.168.0.1 etc). I tried several times to change to that number and discovered that You need to manually change the IP address and you will also need to go through the DNS records changing each occurence maunally. I also found that the DHCP Server also had to be changed manually.
I eventually gave up and accepted the Microsoft defaults (which now work perfectly).
With the domain name - you can choose anything you want but if you choose one that's already taken (microsoft.com for example), when you try to surf to MS from any machine on your network (other than the server) you get an error message.
Don't know any other effects on the ICS - I found that it was better to set up NAT (Network address translation manually) to share the internet connection.
The bottom line was that my old network settings (192.168.0.1 etc) ran OK but generated dozens of errors in event viewer. For that reason I reinstalled Server 2000, accepted the 10.10.1.1. IP addresses and it works much better with hardly any event viewer errors........
Good Luck ... GD

True (gkdog) M$ like to have it done their way. One solution if you want to use you're domain name on the net, you can use one of the many dynamic dns providers out there (and many are free) so if you have a dynamic connection, you won't need to worry about having a static ip. Another note, most of them will alow you to pick your own name, you just have to tag on one of their domains on the end, but for free, i don't have any complaints about that. One thing i have noticed with server is, set up you ip, then set up all the other services later. This does save you a ton of work. I use 192.168.0.1, and 192.168.0.2 (dual nics) in my box, but i set up the ip's first then dns & wins, then dhcp, then all the other fancy stuff (mail, proxy, etc). This way, once you get one part working well (dns is most important of them all) then it makes it much eaiser to get the others working later.

Thanks,
James
[shadeshappy] [evil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back