Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing modem string values

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutt511

Technical User
Dec 10, 2002
US
How do I change the modem string values to increase the speed of a modem? I know how to view the string values, just dont know how or what to change the values to. any help would be appreciated.

What modem, what chipset, what string(s) are there now? What speeds are you currently getting? Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

it is an aopen modem, with i believe a rockwell chipset. for the most part it connects around 56k, but i have heard you can change the values and speed it up, it does become unstable sometimes but just trying out new things

if you are connecting at anywhere near 56k, you shouldn't do anything to "help" it. any modem string that you would try would probably mess things up for you. the server modem and yours are both 56k compatable this means that they are both equipt to handle that speed. it is not possible to connect at anything higher. also, just to let you know, the FCC has rules stating that dail-up connection can not operate above 53k. this don't mean that can never get higher but NEVER higher than 56k. hope this helps!!

thank you internettech, i did not know about the laws. i myself i am on cable modem, much faster!!!! but was trying to help out a friend on dial up. everyday you learn something new, the day you dont is the day you die....so make someone live longer teach them something.......MUTT

Rockwell chipset modems are easy to play with though.
If you want to get the absolute most out of it, you can "tweak" a bit, but you may find it slowing down, not speeding up.
The idea is to get throughput to a max, not just connect speed, and though the two are related, a solid connect at 45k may have much better throughput than a flaky connect at 49 or 52k.
Tell your friend to try these strings, one at a time, in the extra settings box of Advanced modem properties.
+MS=k56,0
+MS=V90,0
+MS=V90,1,,,,49000
S202=32S95=1
S202=32S95=1S10=50
Even a combination of the above may work better.
Try this for example:
S202-32S95=1+MS=V90,0
Have fun! Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back