Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing MAC address

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasadradha

IS-IT--Management
Aug 6, 2000
SG
Visit site
Hi ,<br><br>I am facing a peculiar problem in configuring a Compaq Proliant server with Solaris 7 x86 . It works OK , btu when I add another NIC , the second NIC comes up with the same MAC address as the original integrated NIC .<br><br>I had a very similar issue on Linux also on a diff. server. There was a config. file that you could edit to change the MAC address in Linux ( Red Hat 6.1 ) .<br><br>Is there a similar settings / file that I can use to do the same in Solaris also .<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Prasad

Hello Prasadradha:

I don't know if this is the same on your Compaq, I have a SUN Enterprise 3500. I have four quad ethernet cards (16 ports total!) on mine and I had the same problem. I had to reboot the machine to the 'ok' prompt (I think they call this the PROM monitor), if you do a 'printenv', you will see a variable called 'local-mac-address'. The default value is 'false', which means that all the NIC in the system have the same MAC address. I changed mine to 'true', so now each port on every ethernet card has its own unique MAC address.

tommy (qa3769)

If that doesn't work in x86, you can specify the MAC address using the ifconfig command.

From the ifconfig man page:

ifconfig le1 ether aa:1:2:3:4:5

You would probably want to put it in an appropriate script in /etc/rc2.d [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back