Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Linked Document path for users 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickclark

MIS
Dec 5, 2002
GB
Dear All,

Please stay with me here because it confused me on the first read and i wrote it :0)

My users save thier linked documents to a mapped network drive. I would like to sync the users My Documents with the network but am concerned that they will save thier GM linked documents into 'My Documents' instead of the original mapped area. My Question is, if user A links a document in goldmine, using their 'My Documents' dir as a 'networked' drive, would user B be able to view that document or would they instead be directed to their own My Document area of the network and hence not be able to find the required information.

I would imagine that this type of question has occured previously with regard to roaming profiles etc.

Please note that all users are using win2k, Active Directory and GM 6.0 dbase version, we have no goldsync users.

Thanks in adv.

Nick

Mapping the My Documents directory is a very bad idea, not only because it is going to create a huge web of mapped drives that you will have to coordinate, but because it will do nothing for you if the user simply links to c:\my documents. The link will reflect the c:, not the map.

Also, XP will try to block those links to My Documents if you ever upgrade.

If you need to move linked documents, the most powerful tool for the job is Link Magic, available from my web site.

The Wizard
Home of Link Magic and Web Magik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back