Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing ISP Static IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

s73880b

Technical User
Dec 2, 2003
US
We are about to change our ISP and obviously will get a new static ip. What do I need to change on our server that is running w2k server and w2k exchange? The last time we changed our internet service on our client pc's slowed to a crawl and we couldn't access our web site from inside our network. I know what to do with our Sonicwall Firewall, but I am fuzzy on the the internal server. Thanks in advance for your help!

Normally your internal server does not know anything about the WAN IP. Incoming mail gets to you on port 25, which is forwarded to your server on an internal address.
Expect some DNS issues the first 24-48 hours, but that is normal.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Thanks for the reply. Won't I need to change the Server ip numbers in the DNS and repoint our MX records though? All of our client pc's use the internal ip address of our dc1 server for the primary DNS but I thought the dc1 server needs pointed elsewhere.

Only if you hardcoded your WANIP in your DNS.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

When you change ISP's, they should take care of the MX records, etc. Internally you shouldn't have to do anything unless, as Marc points out, you hard coded the IP's instead of using redirects.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back