Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing ips with vlans and need some help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2003
US
We have Cisco VOIP and with it we have vlans. Without getting too complicated we have a vlan 30 for desktops, servers, printers, etc... (vlan 40 is for the phones). I have been tasked with moving all of the printers into their own vlan - 20. I have been told to use dhcp reservations for these printers. The printers are 90% HP's and 10% Canon's. I have the vlan, the trunks, and the dhcp scope setup correctly (a few tests verified this).

The problem is the printers do not want to obtain an ip from the new scope. I am doing the following:

Connect to the printer via a browser.
Go into admin and change the printer to dhcp, click apply and verify it grabbed an ip from the same scope as it's former static ip.
Change the switch port from vlan 30 to vlan 20 then delete the ip registered in the vlan 30 scope.
Use the shut & no shut command to reset the nic.

Then it should grab an ip but it does not. IS there any thing I am missing or am doing wrong?

Well, first off, is this a L3 switch handling the routing? Is there a layer 3 device between the device that's routing and the printers? If so, you'll need an ip-helper address.
Also, why would you want printers dhcp??? I strongly advise you put them as static IP's---for management purposes, not to mention it would solve your problem. That's another thing---can the devices be pinged if the IP is statically set?

Burt

I agree with burtsbees.
I always set printer for a static IP address.

One big advantage to this is that I typically use direct IP printing. I'm not a fan of using server resources for such a simple task as printing.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

I am using dhcp reservations because my boss wants me to.
:(
I would love to use static but I am doing what the boss says...

Yes, we have a L3 switch handling the routing. Yes, I also have a helper-address. I think I found the problem yesterday - wrong gateway ip in the dhcp scope options. I will test it today to see if it works.

Well, changing the gateway in the scope hasn't helped, although I cannot rule out the possibility that these HP 4000's need the cable physically unplugged in order for the nic to be reset.

Any other suggestions?

Yeah---get different printers! Those NICs in the HP printers (can't think of the specific name offhand) are friggin JUNK!
I have to constantly power my 5Si off and on again on the first print job of the day. It hangs just about every time. I have a 1320N at home, which is actually pretty good.
Jet Direct---that's the name of the NICs!
So can you ping the Canons? I worked on those for 8 years---good machines.
How did your boss want you to manage the printers without static IP addresses? Is he a technician, or a bean counter type?lol

Burt

Those NICs in the HP printers ... are friggin JUNK!
Nonsense. HP did have issues with a revision on one of the JD cards, but by and large they are solid and reliable.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Well, my feeling is that he wants to eliminate when a printer is rebooted and loses its IP. This way it will always pick up the correct one.

How is it that managing printers with a static ip is better than using dhcp?

Our HP printers (~40 or so) don't lose their IP when rebooted. Maybe you do have some crap JetDirect cards, there was a problem with one IIRC. What JD's are you using?

If you use DHCP then you'll have to give your printers names and list them in DNS (or force the IP based on MAC). I find it easier to just have fixed IPs.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

How is it that managing printers with a static ip is better than using dhcp?"

In case you have any dns issues, or MAC address issues where you need to know the IP but cannot connect with the logical dns name. That's why it's a good idea for printers to be static, not to mention ease of setting up tcp/ip printing.
That seems to me almost like setting a server to dhcp---you can still ping it by name, right?

Burt

Lawnboy---we are obviously speaking from our own personal experience with the JD NICs. I have had bad luck with more than what you have mentioned. I am not sure if they went to a different manufacturer, or if they were third party.

Burt

We got them through HP.

I haven't thought of setting them up in DNS. We are using ip printing with queue names.

Burt - I'm running about 4 different JDs and they're solid as a rock. I think the problem batch was with the 600n, they can be directly replaced with the 610n.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back