Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing IP on Management Port on Passport 8310 switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

smahajan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2007
CA
We have 2 CPU's on our passport 8310 switch.
1st management port IP address is 192.168.2.1/255.255.252.0
This IP is in the same subnet as one of our internal VLANs.

2nd Management port IP address is 10.10.10.8/255.255.240.0

After reading the documentation on the switch, it was recommended that the management port IP address should not participate in the general routing of the internal network. Therefore I changed the IP address on the 1st Management port to 10.10.10.7/255.255.240.0 (so that both management ports are in the same subnet and they remain isolated from our main network)

After doing the above, the switch asked for a reboot in order to save the changes. I restarted the switch and the whole office had no IP addresses on their computers.

WHY SHOULD THIS HAPPEN

I have 8610 cores. My Nortel book from my 8600 cert tells me that the managment ports on my 8691SF cards are isolated from the production network and the IPs will not show up in the ARP table. I can't see what you did would cause that problem. Maybe your configs were never saved and the boot wiped out running configs.

Was the first managment address assigned to a vlan or defined under the "boot net mgmt ip" command?

Had you originally defined a net managment route for the 192.168.2.1 address, if so has this been removed? As this may be causing a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back