Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing IP addresses in a 2 controller cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty269

Systems Engineer
Nov 20, 2017
US
looking for some tips on this. the site has 2 controllers in a cluster they need to change the ip addresses they are moving to a new network. I know the SDS will change some items but not others one controller has an E2T card so that will need to change via the maint. port I was going to change the info in one and reboot it then start changing the info in the other and reboot then when they come back online test the IP phones then have the vmail company work on the vmail they have a SIP based AVST system then change the info for the controllers in the MICC server.
do I do this as a wholesale change and change both at the same time or change one and test then change the other the old IP address and the new addresses can talk to one another.
any pointers would be great

Thanks

Physical or virtual
version

all make a difference to the answer

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Matty269 said:
one controller has an E2T card so that will need to change via the maint.

Static Address Yes. (and not necessarily maint depending on Billz66's questions)

DHCP No. And I would suggest you take this opportunity to use DHCP

yes i bypassed that part which obviously implies its physical and a variant of mxe.
Matty its best to always start the posts with the exact hardware and software version.
makes providing the answer much easier

Sorry I was a bit vague
1 MXE controller 1 MXE III controller 12.0.3.15 latest rel 6.0 SP3 the latest supported version that handles Per Nodes with digital phones
No DHCP on the controllers it is handled by their network the IP Phones are on the new network IP scheme and hardware but the controllers, sip vmail and the MICC are on the old scheme and hardware
The MICC is on a virtual machine using hyper V the MICC is 6.0.2.0
They want to move the Mitel controllers to the new network then at a later time move the Vmail ( the vmail changes will be handled by their vmail vendor) and then the MICC to the new network
can the MICC virtual server IP address stay and just change the info on where to find the 3300 be changed or do they both have to change at the same time

the old IPs 10.10.xxx.xxx on their old switches
the new IPs 10.230.xxx.xxx on their new switches the two networks seems to talk to each other just fine no audio or connection issues with the IP phones at all
things to change in the mitel
lan properties
voice network elements
cluster network elements
icp ipxnet trunk
am I mising anything?

Thanks again

Billz66 said:
obviously implies its physical and a variant of mxe.

LOL, when no info is supplied, I make no assumptions.

To illustrate that point, and to inform Matty269 why details are important I can go back all the way to the LX with an E2T and every iteration in between the LX and the MXe-III. To answer this question fully, with the information provided, would take more time than actually doing the job itself.

Story time: I first discovered and joined Tek-Tips looking for an answer to the E2T question. (searching)

I believe this is the first thread I found 06 May 2005
thread1329-1056459

Which ultimately led me to the FAQ Posted: 14 May 2005
faq1329-5869

Is it likely that OP has an LX running at most pre-release MCD 4.0, no.

Is it possible, yup.

I now regret not taking the opportunity to link to that FAQ earlier as a joke.

Ha, Matty269, we were posting at the same time.

Those details are perfect and far more comprehensive than we typically get. You've now entered the I can help this guy zone.

I will leave the details to Billz66 though as I've been out of the game too long to be able to recite from memory what you need to do.

Suffice it to say, the answer will be somewhere along the lines of using telnet to access the E2T on port 2007? and the Main on port 2002.

Those software levels are pretty old to say the least and not that far from the LX version I flippantly mentioned earlier. Closer to the LX than current for sure.

Billz66 may go a more efficient route with his more recent knowledge but I typically stick to the tried and true.

kwbmitel

Thanks I have done the E2T card on new installs in our lab before they went to the site and did 2 putty sessions one to 2002 and one to 2007 to set the IP for the e2t. tricky if I remember correctly
I guess I am a bit leary of the cluster and the SDS and making sure every form that needs to be changed is, either by sds or manually of course the customer wants little to no down time and I know I can see a few reboots happening

I used this for the e2t card what would be suggested changing all the mitel IP addresses and then using the new IP for the mitel RTC then change the e2t ip or change the e2t first ?

any order of operations doing this would be great

Thanks again !!!

as long as there is connectivity (required ports are open) between the old and new networks then changing the Ip address details is no issue.
change one and make sure all its details are correct , its network element should update and be shared to the others in the cluster.

DHCP settings : if the controller has phones registered to it it doesn't matter if DHCP is offboard , options will need to change to reflect the new controller IP address

If the voicemail is sip connected , it too may need an adjustment if it was registering via IP Address.

we only have one system now with an E2t (from memory you set the primary IP first then console to raw port 2007 and set the e2t after that)
Im very rusty on E2t - would probably have to refer to the tech handbook to refresh my memory

haven't worked on that MIVB vintage for a while (we keep all ours at close to the latest for support , oldest we have is 8.0 SP3)

Regarding changing in a cluster , I recently changed the primary virtual controller in a cluster with 19 physicals
was much easier than i thought - basically just adjusted it and it let all the others know.
- only other issue is any other servers that have references to its IP ( i had mbgs and micollab , micc and mivcr)
had to check adjust all of them in the areas that didn't get the SDS shared update

@ Billz66

The 2 controllers are not on the same network. The Netmask was not provided

There are gateway/firewall considerations. Port 6809? for example.

If they cannot communicate via port 6809?, then they cannot sync data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back