Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing IP address of central office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empmark

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2002
US
Our network is 2003 Windows native with 1 remote site. We have one Exchange 2003 server running in our single domain.

We are changing our IP address scheme at our home location. Are there any issues to changing the ip address of our 2 Domain controllers? How about the Exchange server? We also have a remote location that is a seperate site with its own DC. Will I need to make any changes to the default site in AD (the subnet setting) in Sites and Services or will just changing the static IP on the DCs take care of that?

We are also, of course, changing DHCP and DNS and I don't see any issues here but if anyone has suggestions or warnings I would love to hear them. I am most concerned about AD and missing something that might disrupt replication between the two DCs here and the connection to the remote site. Most everything else seems relatively easy as long as we don't forget something pointing to somewhere via IP address.

Thanks very much in advance for advice or thoughts.

I had to do what you are thinking 3 months ago!!
with you setting up your new static on the DC which also holds DHCP all that you are thinking will happen once you have re authorized the new scope . i just insured i had copied all my settings down first and put new ones underneath to ensure i did not miss any of the settings

good luck

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."

Thanks for the post, schtek.

So far the only thing I can find to worry about for AD is under sites and services. I'm going to create the new subnet in sites and services and then add it to the appropriate site (default site in this case). Then I will move ahead changing static IP addresses, DNS and DHCP settigns. Anyone had any issues chaging thier default site subnet?

just a small thought ..you will find that you are unable to change the subnet in your dhcp i, i found that the only way was to create a new scope with the new subnet in it and authorize it .. i still had no problems with it though.. just ensured all 250 clients were off when i did it then changed settings and they all were fine

good luck

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."

Thanks again! I've already got the scope created and ready to activate. I do appreciate the advice. Like you said I think this will be a no brainer but it's nice to hear what others have experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back