Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Icons of documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattpearcey

Technical User
Mar 7, 2001
GB
I need to send a document, that is an excel document made up as a form (questionnaire). I am sending this via email and as an attachment. I would like the attachment NOT to look like an excel document. Is this possible, so i can change the icon of the attachment document? Thank you for your help already.

Matt Pearcey

What is the reason behind it not looking like an Exel attatchment. Is this for the users convenience or something to do with your firewall/email server? Lamaar75@hotmail.com

When it looks like a duck, walks like a duck .... it's still an Excel file.

The icons are controlled by file association on each PC. Many users double click on an Email attachment without a great deal of thought as to what's going on. If the file association is changed, the PC will not know the correct application to use to open the file.

You could change the extension to .HLP, which would change the icon to "a little book with a question mark". Which would be nice. If each user would then open Excel, change the default file type to all files, then open the file, etc. Seems like a hassle.

I would suggest asking them to fill out the attached Excel file and send it back to you. They're not going to care and you simply want the data back quickly.

Its a questionnaire and i do not want it to look like an excel doc. i want it to look as professional and unique as possible, so i want my company icon on there. is there anyway of doing this? Thank you for your help already.

Matt Pearcey

There's plenty of free/cheap Survey software about that I find quite adequate for customer surveys or perhaps you could create a 'splash' screen (like you can in Access) with your Corporate ID.

Matt,

Can you confirm that you received back your copy of the Questionnaire that I "dressed up" ?

In this "dressed up" file, I inserted a sheet at the front, where I explained some of the logic is used regarding the re-arrangement of the "results" portion of the file, so as to provide a proper "data" format for 1) receipt of the data, and 2) for proper data analysis.

My suggestion would be to insert your company's logo on this FIRST sheet. You would do this by using: Insert - Picture - From File ...assuming you have the logo as a separate file (jpg or bmp type of file for example).

Or, if you don't have the logo in a separate file, you can get it from an existing file, by loading that file, selecting the logo, copy it and then go to the Excel file and Paste-Special whereion you paste it as a Picture.

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back