Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing HDDs about

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadChough

Programmer
Dec 20, 2007
GB
I have started using a new PC, and want to salvage the Master HHD (lets call it "Old-Masster")from my old system to become Slave on the new PC. I have a Slave on the old system("Old-Slave") which I intend to become the Master on the old system.
Will be able to simply copy the entire C:partition from Old-Master to Old-Slave, remove both HDDs, re-install Old-Slave as Master (jumpers) on the old PC and boot up?
I would then install and reformat Old-Master as New-Slave on the new PC?
Can it be as simple as that?

There are system related pointers and files that don't transfer by copy.

The hard drive manufacturers have diagnostic disks that generally have had programs to help you transfer from other disks to theirs and the Symantec (Norton) Ghost program does what you want to do.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

1. it can be done...
2. as Ed mentioned, either through manufacturers software or an Imaging solution, e.g. Ghost, Acronis, Paragon, etc...

BUT, you will have issues:

1. You may gave issues with the hardware, and a REPAIR install should take care of that...

2. it may not be LEGAL, if the original OS is an OEM version, as these are tied to the hardware (PC) that they are first installed on...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks for the advice, folks.
I have Acronis, and will take my chances with that.
Not OEM, so I should be legal.
Here goes .....!

Well, I haven't got far.
I now have an Acronis Image of my C:partition of the Old PC on an external HDD.
I have been lookng through Acronis True Image 10 instructions but can't seem to find how to recreate (?Restore?) that partition on my empty slave HDD. My plan was then to install the slave as master and remove the master HDD.
I thought that was possible, but maybe i'm wrong.
If anyone can point me where to look, or maybe has come across a tutorial on this I'd like to know.

You should be able to recover from USB, once you boot the new PC from the ATI CD...

alternatively, you could physically move the drive from the old PC to the NEW PC, and then do a disk to disk image, using ATI... then unhook old drive, do the REPAIR install on the new PC, and meanwhile bomb the old DRIVE on the OLD PC (you still have the back up, so there should be no data loss)...

Ben

BBB - BadChough is not planning on using any old drive in the new system as a boot drive....he wants to clone the old C: drive to the old D: drive, remove the old C: drive and place it in the new system as a slave drive and format it. The old D: drive becomes the C: drive in the OLD system. No OS repair or licensing issues come into play.

BadChough - I would think the easiest course would be to use True Image to CLONE the old C: drive to the old D: drive, then proceed aas you plan. Leave formatting the old C: drive until you are sure the D: to C: swap is successful.

Ok Freestone.
So, Clone instead of Backup Image.
But can I Clone just the C:Partition?
You see there are two other Partitions on the master HDD, and whilst the slave is big enough to take C:partition, it's not big enough to take a Clone of the whole master disk.
Thanks for the help.

Ok, well that means cloning is probably not the best option. Let's concentrate on restoring the C: image from your external HDD.

At this point you want to remove the old master drive and set it aside. Then jumper the old slave drive for master and place it at the end of the primary IDE interface.

Where are you getting stuck in the Acronis Recovery process?

Freestone - thank you for clearing that up, and I stand corrected, I was under the impression that he wanted to move the OS from the old to the new...

and in that case it is easier to just go ahead and image the C partition to the SLAVE (old PC), Acronis should handle that easily, and then remove the old master, rejumper the Slave to MASTER, and that should be it for the old PC...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back