Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Goofy IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnacle

MIS
Jan 15, 2003
US
I am working with a company that has one Win2K Server. They are using the Server as an Active Directory Domain Controller. This server is also running DHCP and Exchange and connects to the internet through a Cisco router attached to a T1 line.

Whoever setup the network used the format 192.68.7.xx for some strange reason. Can I change it to 192.168.7.xx without causing any problems? Where would it need to be changed other than in DHCP and in the Cisco router?

I am adding an ISA Server soon and I am worried that leaving it in a non-standard format may cause problems. It also just drives me crazy to be entering ip addresses starting with 192.68 all the time!

As long as you get all the static IP's, don't miss any routers and DHCP (and all the entry's in DHCP for router, dns etc..) you should be fine. If your DNS is running on the win2k server I don't know if you will have to reinstall/reconfigure it but I would expect so. Don't forget to reconfigure the firewall (hopefully there IS a firewall somewhere maybe on the router?

Televison will make radio obsolete.

DNS will be an issue. You will have to reconfigure your zones again.

It would appear that whoever set this up used their head as this is the private address range and it cannot be routed through the Internet so I would think that they have done this for security reasons.
I understand ISA is the replacement for proxy server so your IP scheme should not be an issue.

Secondly the golden rule is "if aint broke dont fix it!" Changing the IP scheme just because you do not like typing in 192.168 all the time smacks of immaturity and a lack of a proper change management process.
If you are the one and only admin then it is up to you to implement,follow and maintain change management procedures to ensure that shit does not happen through foolish and unnecessary acts.
Remember YOU are accountable!
However I can help you out with this too :) there is a book called "The Practice of Systems and Network Administration" by Thomas Limoncelli and Barbara Hogan.
I strongly recommend that you get a hold of it and read it.
Sorry if you feel that I have taken you to task however I wish you well in the future:)

Cheers Feral2U

I'm not offended at all! Thanks for the great advice!

Jsteve,

I think you spoke too fast...

Barnacle said,

"Whoever setup the network used the format 192.68.7.xx for some strange reason"

You replied,

"this is the private address range and it cannot be routed through the Internet...

192.68.x.x is not a reserved private address...

"The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved the following three blocks of the IP address space for private networks."

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

Patty [ponytails2]

Opps...Sorry I mistakenly addressed that last past to Jsteve and it should have been to Feral2U

I guess I spoke to soon as well... :)

Patty [ponytails2]

Thanks Patty,

I think I did speak too soon. The book was a good idea though! :)

Barnacle, I didn't say you spoke to soon. I was refering to the post by Feral2U in which he said that 192.68.x.x was a private address range and it is not.

The book sounds like a great idea, you can never have too many reference books!

Patty [ponytails2]

Among the many functions ISA server provides is NAT. Therefore, once this server is up and running (and it should be on it's own box) you will need to apply a new numbering scheme to your internal network. Leave the 192.68.7.xx on the public NIC so you won't have to mess with your router and apply the 192.168.x.x to the internal interface of the ISA server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back