Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing GC / Root DC - Impact on Echange 2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

mparry

Technical User
Oct 23, 2002
GB
I'm looking for ways round the following scenario:

In 4 months time our business will be installing 2 Quad Xeon spec servers (Terminal servers). The company supplying / managing these servers have said they wish one of these servers to be the 1st DC in the new 2K domain (so that it would become the CG / root domain controller - or something along those lines) as it will be the most powerful and important of the network servers.

My problem is I wish to setup Exchange 2K on another new server before this time and as we currently use NT4 and another mail system I would need to create and new 2K domain. This means if want to get on and use Ex2K one of my current servers will need to become the GC / root domain on the new 2K network.

Is there anyway I can change the root controller / GC server when the TS servers arrive, or alternatively, could I have an Exchange server running on a particular 2K domain - withdraw it from that domain - and then join it to a new 2k domain (with the TS server as GC / root DC)at later stage?

Sorry this has been long winded - any advice appreciated.

Marcus

no problem. just join the new servers to your existing domain, promote them to DC's, then transfer whatever roles you want over to them. once that's done, you could even demote the exchange server back to a regular member....

Excellent, thanks for your help.

So... there's no function that is inherent in the first DC in a domain that can't be transfered to another DC at a later date?

Cheers,
Marcus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back