Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Gateways via Group Policy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mupp3t

MIS
Aug 19, 2004
GB
Hi All
Is it possible to change gateway ip addresses on a network via group policy?

Thank you

M

I'm not sure if its possible.
But you may find it easier to use a dhcp sever and hand out the IP addressing info in that way instead of a GPO.

If thats not an option you can try to use the route -p add command in a login script via a GPO, or just as a loging script.

I could be wrong as there are lots of settings in the GPO. But I don't think that setting IP addressing info is one of those setting.

Let me know if this helps

Thanks NATCAT

It would be probably better using a login script via GPO.

Thanks
M

I would have to disagree with that statement mupp3t. The problem is that the gatway is dependent on the interface, of which they may be more than one and you have no control over how many there are.

On my laptop, which has a gige and wifi andapter, as well as an additional gige when docked, and a vpn adapter, I have something like four interfaces. in the registry, to set the gateway, I would have to go to:

HKLM\system\ccs\services\tcpip\parameters\interfaces

At this point, I am presented with a series of keys, each one's name is a GUID. There's one for each adapter. Inside each key are a series of values that includes DefualtGateway.

A GPO is not going to have the logic to select the right interface. Just saving the key off one, and trying to apply the resulting reg file will not work, because the keys use a GUID as the name and GUIDs are, well, globally uniquie by definition. Some custom program launched from the logon script could possibly figure it out and set the right value, but I've seen solutions like this cause more damage than they were designed to fix.

Your best bet would be DHCP. Set a long lease time, then go back with dhcputil and convert active leases to reservations to ensure that each workstation always gets the same IP. This has the same net effect and manually setting the IP addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back