Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Frame Rate Of Clip 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatociego

Technical User
Dec 21, 2006
MX

Premier Pro2 (which, incidentally, fellas, I think really sucks compared to Premier 6.1)
Core2 duo
1gb ram
160mgb harddrive

I put together a 5 second intro clip to a 1hr 20min movie. The intro clip has a frame rate of 25fps and the movie is 29.97fps.
Per Help, I selected the intro clip, then file>interpret footage, and changed the clip to 29.97 to match the movie. The intro clip seems to play fine, but the accompanying audio (music) sped up.
In fact, how can that be? Both the video and audio start and end at the same time, but the music is playing faster than normal.
Can I adjust this audio problem back to normal?
Or, what can I/should I do overall?

Thank you
Paul

If you play a 25fps movie at 29.97fps, then the run time is reduced and the audio (to remain in sync) has to speed up accordingly.

One way to deal with the problem is to unlink the audio and leave it at the original speed.

Another is to accept 25fps for the intro clip and see what Premiere makes of it when you render to project speed. There may be some loss of quality due to frame blending. If your 25fps clip is PAL, there will likely be frame size issues to address as well. Search for PAL NTSC conversion on Google.

SoundForge and any competing product will adjust the length of audio files without changing pitch. (re-sample)

There is a penalty doing this and it depends on the amount of stretch &/or compression - it can be noticeably echoey.

I was about to do this myself and will use Soundforge is necessary. You would have to get calculations right to get the lip sync, or better still divide (& CONQUER) using audio clips no longer than one scene.
Though I may be able to revisit the stills slideshow and render in NTSC (never twice the same color as they used to say)

I have loaded AVI files into Soundforge , manipulated the sound (it gives icons for video) and saved with pleasant results but you have to experiment.

I was assuming Premiere would re-sample the video - onviously I am being naive.

In PPro, you have the choice of correcting pitch after the event using the pitch shifter audio effect, or maintaining pitch when applying speed changes using the toggle in the speed-change window.

No auto pitch correction when using Interpret Footage. I guess they assume this facility is to put things right, rather than for changing clip speed for other reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back