Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Exchange Server from BDC to Member Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

arussell

MIS
Aug 6, 2000
GB
Can anyone tell me the quickest way to 'demote' an Exchange 5.5 Server to a member server without loss of data etc.

What would happen if NT was installed as a member server 'over the top' of a BDC?

Or if the server was rebuilt from scratch as a member server and then the Exchange organisation was restored onto it - or just the databases restored?

Would the Exchange Server be recognised as the same server or is there a uniqueness about the server that goes beyond the name, ie. some kind of SID?

Thanks for any insights.

Andy Russell

I have used a tool called U-Promote to demote a BDC to a member server, but that was only a development server and not exactly vital to the business.

When I wanted to set up a test exchange server on a physically separate network, I gave it the same organisation and site names as my production network and then restored the databases. (Make sure the Exchange SPs are the same or the databases won't work)

If I remember correctly after running isinteg -patch the new server came up with all data intact, so a full rebuild is not out of the question if you want to go that way.

Since then I've restored data from the live server numerous times without problems.

I have, in the past, successfully moved the Exchange database from a BDC to a member server. Start from scratch and restore the databases. As previously noted, make sure the Organization names and server names are exactly the same. ISINTEG -patch takes care of the SID.

Why would you wish to demote to a member server? Exchange needs regular access to the ACLs which are a part of the domain information stored on a DC.

If Exchange is put on a member server you will slow it down and increase network traffic.

Thanks for earlier answers

I want to 'demote' the server as we're eliminating some of the domains in the organisation. Even though it will be a little bit slower for Outlook clients to authenticate as there is no SAM database on the server, it does mean that the server will be faster as it won't have to authenticate other users - it's as long as it is wide I think!

Thanks

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back