Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing ExchAdmin password

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcn66

IS-IT--Management
Nov 10, 2004
US

We are running Exchange 2003 in a Windows 2003 AD domain. We recently had one of the network admins leave and I've been asked to change the ExchAdmin password - which I did. However, if I remember correctly, I thought I had a problem in the past with the Exchange services when I did this with Exchange 5.5.

Will this cause a problem????

I won't reboot the server until I am sure that this won't cause a problem.

Thank you in advance for any help.

There is no such thing as an Exchange Admin account so therefore there is no password. I have no idea what password you changed...perhaps the old Exchange 5.5 service account? The Exchange service runs under a system account unlike Exchange 5.5. All you have to do is diable the person's account who left, that's it.

Skialta,

If the Exchange system is upgraded from an EX55 setup, it is possible that the Exchange service account has been migrated as well. As such, RCN66 question is correct.

RCN66,
Check from the Services snap-in if there is an Account specified for the Exchange services (other than system account). If so, stop each Exchange service, and replace the ****** in the password lines by the new password you specified for this account (you used AD I assume)
Afterwards, restart each Exchange service. If all goes well, all Exchange services should start.

That's all you have to change.

It's also possible that other services are depending on this account, eg. backup services, exchange antivirus software,...

Good luck, and shoot your questions again in case of issues or doubts.

Regards,

Peter

although the acccount would still be there from a 5.5 migration it wouldnt be running anything

although it would have rights to the exchange objects
the account can be deleted or expired

no need to restart anything

although it would have rights to the exchange objects
the account can be deleted or expired"

The name of the account populates an attribute of the administrative group called msExchLegacyAccount. Assuming you're still in mixed mode, when msExchLegacyAccount is populated there's a place to put the new password on the properties tab of the administrative group object.

If they used the account to install 2003, then it has Full exchange admin permissions. The account will also have service account admin permissions to the SRS database if it has not yet been removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back