Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing drive names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetworkAdmin01

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2006
US
Ok whats happening is i have my backups running on a xp system and whenever i reboot the system the drive names rest to local disk but i would like them to be change for good. for example mon,tues,wed,thurs are the drive names. what can i do to make this stay so that when i remove the drive or reboot the system. once the drive is detected again it picks up the name as well.

If I got this correct; You should be able to rename the volumes under properties for each.

It was not evident from your posy what you have attempted??

Or how you are removing these drives?? physically??

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

]I have renamed them through the properties tab but when the system is restarted or a drive is physically removed, by first unmounting then pulling it out, and placed back in the names are reset to local disk again. How do i make the names permanent.

Can these removable drives work how you want if you try the renaming process on another machine and then reboot, or remove them from the other machine and then put them back in the other machine? Is the name then carried over to your current machine?

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back