Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing drive letter specification windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

dooahhdoo

ISP
May 15, 2001
GB
For reasons I cannot remember a few years ago I had 2 disks in my machine and installed my OS on D drive. I proceeded to boot from D and used C as a file backup.

D drive failed on me recently, I bought a new disk, popped it in and unplugged existing C so I didnt format the wrong one ;) Re-installed win2k thinking after this was done I would just plug in the disk ,windows would reallocate it a drive letter and all would be well. I couldnt have been more wrong :(
When I plug in the new disk it will boot OK but go to my computer and it takes 2-3 mins for it to display the contents, then you try and read from the old disk and it errors. Event viewer shows hundreds of paging faults on both disks when they are both plugged in together. It wont let you change the drive specification in Control panel > computer management either.
I had an idea about using an external hard drive caddy connected via USB. It sees the disk and assigns it drive letter D but still cannot read the contents of the disk. Paging errors again appear when the second disk is plugged in.
I managed to change the drive to N: with it plugged in to USB but still no joy reading from the disk.

Have I been unfortunate enough to have 2 different makes and sizes of disk fail on me at the exact same time? Is there an easier way of extracting the data from the old disk? Any ideas apart from format c:?????

Thanks in advance.

You need to slave it via IDE cable and not USB ESPECIALLY if this is a Western Digital. They are horrible about failing when connected to USB. Then get a data recovery software. There are several good ones for about $100. Just download the trial and you will know if they work or not.

AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back