Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

riksweeney

Programmer
Nov 4, 2002
GB
Hi,

I've changed my Domain on my laptop but now I've lost all my settings and everything that was on my desktop. Is there any way that I can copy everything over to my new domain?

Nice & easy. Just goto regedit>HKEY_Local_Machine\software\microsoft\windows nt\current version\profile list
Find your SID by looking through and change the path on the right to point to your old profile in documents & settings from your old domain. Hope this is enough info. cheers.

WinMatrix,
Could you explain this in a little more detail fir us "registry challenged" people?

You should be able to right click on your start button explore all users and find the account you previously used and just copy everything over

The method I'd use for this would be as follows:

Right-click on "My Computer", then select "Properties", select the "Advanced" tab, then click the "Settings" button in the "User Profiles" section. After this, you should be confronted with a listing of account profiles on your system. Simply highlight your new account profile, then click the "Copy to" button. Then browse through the "documents and settings" directory structure until you locate the profile of your old account. Once selected, click "ok". This will initiate the copying of your old profile into your new account profile. Once completed, click the "Change" button in the "Permitted to use" field. Make sure that your new account has permissions to use this profile. After that, you are done.

I made an error in my post above. Corrections are as follows (in bold and all caps):

Simply highlight your OLD account profile, then click the "Copy to" button. Then browse through the "documents and settings" directory structure until you locate the profile of your NEW account. Once selected, click "ok".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back