Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing domains at login

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd77

Programmer
Jan 2, 2001
US
I did a stupid thing and changed the domain I was associated with and rebooted my laptop. Now I can not logon to my computer.

All I really need to do is to change the domain back but I don't see a way to do it. The logon screen only gives space for user ID and password.

Is there a way to change the domain back at login? Unfortunatly I don't remember the original admin password.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

If this laptop is windows 2000 there should be an options button which will allow the selection of domains..

If your using NT4 or you click options as above and no box is revealed to select your domain, the laptop is now a member of a "workgroup", and thefore domain accounts are no longer relevant.

If your a member of a workgroup and cant remember the local administrator password.... you are in deeper water

Try for there LOCKSMITH software, or if the filesystem is FAT/FAT32 you could use a WIN9x boot disk to get any data off the Laptop.....

I hope this is of some help..

Rgds

Now that you mention it, It was the workgroup that was changed. It looks like I am in deeper water. Is there a way to change workgroups at login? I don't see the options menu. Perhaps that is because I am using workgroups.

Thanks,

Joe

Changing workgroups should not prevent you from logging on with your old password. The workgroup has absolutely no bearing on any security issues regarding log ons. What you may have done is move your machine from a domain to a workgroup?

Lacking the local admin password you are in up to your nose and the water is rising. I don't think Last Known Good will help here, but it can't hurt- select F8 when windows is starting up and choose last known good configuration. See what happens. It will likely also ask for a hardware profile- just use the default.

You could also take an admittedly wild stab at this: if you are required to change passwords on a regular and this is your assigned laptop it is possible that your IT group added a local account under your name. If so, try logging on with that account and the original password you had when first got the laptop.

Good luck

I have Win2K but I don't see the domain box on the login window (even with the options).

I'm set to the WORKGROUP since I don't have any domain... But my company requires me to use the VPN and the account will need to connect to the company domain.

Thanks in advance.

Hello I changed a user from a domain to a workgroup and can no longer locate the users profile and all of his documents. Any thoughts here. I have tried to change back to the domain, but it wont let me as it isnt authenticated. this is now a stand alone machine. It feels real hot in here right now, can anyone help?

TR

You must log into the domain as the user to authenticate to it in order to restore the profile.

The problem is that the domain is no longer. The company closed last year. Any way to authenticate it if its stand alone?

Thanks.

TR

As long as you know the local Administrstor password...I hope... Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

I have the same problem. The Win2k machine I use is from the company (domain log on) and at home I have a small network (workgroup) so I changed... afterward nothing anymore.
There seems to be a problem with the build in Ethernet (IBM thinkpad A20p), So I cant get on the workgroup either. Now I hope that I can change it when I'm back on the company network trough token ring card.
Before I didn't need to be connected to a network to get in to my laptop, what is changed? I can't choose anymore between domains (one was the laptops local name)

Anyone can help?

THX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back