Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

vchiu81

Technical User
Jul 18, 2003
US
Hi Everybody,

This is a really dumb question. I am doing a full back up every week and differential ones every night. The problem is that I the differential and full back ups are directed to the same drive so the differential is overwriting the full. I was wondering how do I change the directory to which the files are being saved to. I looked through the options and can't see to find where to change the directory.

Many thanks.

In Backup Exec you need to define Media Sets -- One for differentials and one for full backups. Each new tape that gets put into the tape drive needs to then be made a member of one or the other. In the backup jobs you have to tell the job which Media Set to use. This will make the job use only tapes in their respective Media Set, so your differentials will leave your full backups alone.

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

Also, check what your tapes are set for. Are they set to allow OVERWRITE? Are they set to allow APPEND?

Normally, you should set your jobs to APPEND only and not allow OVERWRITE until a specific amount of time has passed.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back