Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing directions - Need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pghsteelers

Technical User
Apr 21, 2006
US
I have recently been programming software automations through VBS. However, I wanted to take the opportunity to write the same programs that I have been writing in VBS in some other language. I haven't totally decided but am leaning towareds V C++.

What I wanted to know is if I am way out of line thinking that I could develope programs that manipulated files/folders on a computer, ran other programs, and "similar" stuff as I do with WMI?

I know it might make you say "Why" but it is the situation I have that will allow me to learn a new language and so I would like to be doing the same thing with C++.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but you can do anything you want with files/folders in C++. Anything you can do in WMI can also be done in C++, but the WAY you do it would be completely different.

Thanks, you did answer all my questions, thanks so much.

I basically have been writing vbscripts that run other programs, manipulate files folders (create, delete, move, copy..ect) access services, registry changes, and WMI abilities.

Since I have a platform to learn other languages at by learning to do everything that I currently am doing in Vbscript, I could, and learn something new.

It won't be any easier in C++. You could still instantiate a lot of the COM objects you uses from vbs and do it that way. You'll be translating strings back and forth from C++ to com flavored strings,etc

\0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back