Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyGwyn

Programmer
Oct 5, 2005
GB
Hi all, i am a total Newbie to Html and as such have a Very Limited knowledge, -- The Problem-- i am trying to create a web page that has 10 data fields in tables or input boxes that can be edited and changed by any of the systems logged in to the web page, The test I wrote only changed the data local to the PC and was not visible to other external browsers.
any help appreciated.

Well HTML is a stateless static language. That means you need to alter the HTML code to show any changes.

If you want to conserve any changes made to it by someone you need to have some kind of storage mechanism. Be it a database, a file, alterations made to the web page itself etc...

For that you need a programming language that can not only store the changes, but also retrieve them once the page is requested again.

You say you have a series of data fields, how are you storing these data fields, and how do you expect to retrieve them?

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

How and where are you storing the input box data? What back-end processing are you doing? What server side language are you using?

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'
Drive a Steam Roller

Sorry Phil - overlapping posting!

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'
Drive a Steam Roller

No worries, we posted at the same time.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Sorry for the lack of information and thanks for your responses, The web page is not for general public use, what I am doing is collecting data from machines situated around the world which connect to my web page via 3G wireless modems, because my web page will only have a samll number of fields storing data, I was hoping to utilise some of my web capacity provided by my ISP to store the data in, This data would then be available via Reporting systems logging into the website and viewing with 3rd party software ie; Crystal Reports etc, So the Master would be the web page itself, I do not know if this is possible?

I don't think its possible quite how you envision it. You're going to need some kind of server-side processing to collect data from the outlying sites and store it, which is not something you commonly get from an ISP's free web space.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Is it not possible to have along side my webpages a text document that stores the data in say csv and I use this to update a web page table?

The physical storage space is not an issue. If you ISP has storage available then yes by all means use it. But its how you use it, Its gathering the information, and then retrieving it on subsequent visits to the page.

what I am doing is collecting data from machines situated around the world
How are you collecting this information?

, This data would then be available via Reporting systems logging into the website and viewing with 3rd party software ie; Crystal Reports etc

Can Crystal Reports deliver web based reports? Can you have run autonomously so it generates the reports upon request by the web page?

The missing link here is the intermediary, the programming language that can not only store the information in a file if you wish, but also retrieve it and/or call the reporting software you want to generate the reports and then display them in the web page.

HTML alone can't do all this.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back