Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing connetciont problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DvDvDvDv

Programmer
May 24, 2001
PT
Hi all.

I have an internet connection, through a ethernet card connected to a cable modem. It works nice.

When I try to use the usb port to the modem there is no way to register my computer on the ISP Server. The Repair never works.

I noted that all configuration of my 2 network connections are the same but the usb connection, on the ADVANCED tab, just shows me the Internet firewall option. On the good connection there are 2 options: the firewall and the internet sharing connection.

How can I connect to internet through the usb connection ?

Please Help Me !

Dv

If I understand you right...you are trying to use both the USB and the ethernet...you can only use the USB or the ethernet not both at the same time. If you are switching from one to the other, a power cycle of the modem is necessary and a reboot on OSs less than NT, 2000, or XP is advisable as the modem "marries" itself to the adapter it is currently connnected to. Finally, why would you want to connect through the USB if you have a NIC card? You never learn anything by talking....only by listening!

Hi Skrogzilla !

Thansk for answering me !

My problem is I need to use the ethernet card to connecto to other computer. That's why I want to let it free from the cable modem and use the USB connection to connect to internet.

My intention isn't being switching from one to other, but actually I can't connect through the usb port.

I'll try to turn off everything and start with the right connection. I'll tell you if it works.

Thanks again

Dv

Thanks !
It works...

The modem needs to make a reset...

Dv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back