Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

deekydoo

MIS
Jun 21, 2004
GB
Hi,

I am building a replacement system and want to copy my XP pro system to it. I'll be retaining the two 120Gb sata data disks but want to transfer the OS and programs onto a new 128Gb SSD from the old 8Gb IDE drive I used before.

Can I just use Ghost to copy the OS etc to the SSD drive?

Since this is a completely new PC I am assuming that I can phone MS to reactivate XP for the new system. Is this correct?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

Thanks

Deek

Yes, you can use Ghost to clone your system to the new drive, however, drivers should be your main concern, as the hardware difference will likely render the OS unbootable once the change happens.

See your current Os is set to load certain drivers for certain hardware that exists in your machine, when you change the Os to the new machine, this hardware is no longer present, yet Windows is still trying to load the drivers for it, but since the hardware is not there, you'll start to get all sorts of errors when booting up.

You'll have to probably run a repair install on the OS once it has been ghosted to the new drive, and then find and install all the relevant drivers for the new machine.
Additionally yes, you'll need to call MS to reactivate Windows on the new machine.

With that said, You'll likely encounter more system instabilities, and other problems down the line by doing it this way. A better option would be to install a clean Os onto the new HD, and then copy over the data, and install whichever programs you may need.

This will yield a much cleaner, streamlined, and stable system in the end and probably end up being faster and more painless than trying to ghost it.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Also note which type of copy of Windows XP you have installed. If it's OEM, you cannot transfer it to another PC without violating the EULA. If it's Retail, then you can switch it as many times as you want, so long as you only have it installed on one machine at any given time.

And as vacunita said, it will be much wiser to do a clean install on the new system. Especially since it sounds as if you are REALLY making some serious changes here. I mean 8GB IDE to 128GB SSD? Surely you mean 80GB, but still, IDE to SSD is going to be HUGE.

Also, from what I've read, if you're going SSD, you'd benefit greatly from going with Windows 7 over XP, as it's actually built to better handle SSD architecture as it is vastly different than "standard" hard drives.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I would do the clean XP install if I didn't have some years' worth of purchased and installed software.

The IDE is tiny by today's standards; I used it to load the os when I was experimenting with RAID on the sata drives - and ,as usual, didn't get around to doing a 'proper job'.

I've got drivers for the new mobo and graphics card. I bought those retail. And the XP is a retail buy too. I can't recall if it's an upgrade though. Anyway, I've still got the original disk etc.

I'm not sure why the SSD should present problems. Surely it's just a sata 11 drive?

If I did not have a substantial amount of legacy 32 bit software to maintain and develop I would go to Windows 7, especially as my new kit is quad core 64 bit architecture. As it is I don't really know if 32 bit XP will work ok. If not then I will have to bite the bullet, curse BG etc, and invest in a 64 bit OS... with all the subsequent hassle that that will/might entail..

Cheers,

Deek

Well, it's not that XP 32bit WON'T work, it's just that Windows 7 should work better out of the box on an SSD, and within a few months or a year, the difference will be substantial, I'd imagine.

To see what I'm talking about with Windows 7 on an SSD, look up some info on TRIM on SSDs. Basically, TRIM works with Windows 7 drivers, but pretty much not otherwise (for now), which is supposedly a pretty big deal for SSDs. I don't know, as I've not purchased an SSD myself, yet, I've just read some on it.

As for running XP 32 bit apps on Windows 7, you may very well be able to do that. Windows 7 (the Pro and Ultimate versions) include something called XP Mode which is sort of like a preinstalled virtual machine running Windows XP for your apps. It's supposed to be perfect, but like anything else, I've read of some hickups there. I've tried 7 a little, but not XP mode, so I can't deny or confirm on just how good it is.

But also, if you want the best of both worlds for now, pick up a cheap case as well - either for the new setup or the old one, and use that to keep your old system intact in case you run into issues with 7. That way you can try the new one, and take your time transitioning any problem apps/areas.

Of course, all that costs money. The cheapest decent case/PSU combo you can get is around $50 normally, and of course Windows 7 aint free, either. ;0) Well, the RC copies are, but they'll expire in June, I believe.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

simple:

How to replace the motherboard on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000

How to change Motherboards without reinstalling XP...
faq602-6735

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks for all advice and tips guys.

Just checked my XP cd and it is the Upgrade version so that should be ok.

My old mobo had died so I am basically left with just the hard drives from the old system. The CPU was an old Athlon model so I dumped that along with the rest. I made a mistake there really, I should have recycled some of the stuff.

All good words about Win7. I am tempted to go for that.

Thanks again,

Deek

Used my original XP Pro CD to load up the new system - had to put a W98 cd in the reader to prove upgradeable status.

Because I threw the product key sticker out with the old case(yes, stupid thing to do) I resorted to reading the Key from the 'Unattend.txt' file on the CD and it loaded fine to the SSD. So far, so good.

When I tried to activate it over the automated phone system I got told that it was an invalid product key and then I seemed to get run around in circles. So I thought I'd come back here to see if this was a common problem and if you guys had any ideas on how to proceed from here.

Thanks
Deek

With all the trouble and time you have already invested, I honestly would pause and reconsider Windows7. You have buillt a new system, why put an old operating system on it? I have used Windows 7 since it came out in beta up till the present build & I can say, in my opinion, it is excellent. If you start out with the best equipment & OS your good to go for a long time.

xit

You are probably right xit.... It's the W7 price tag which daunts me though..

I understand about the price, money is tight & times are a little tough these days but if you put your mind to it I bet you will find a way.

xit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back