Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing/checking NIC card speed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johny2K

Technical User
Dec 19, 2001
CA
hello,

can anyone share how to manage to check/change the speed og my ALPHA servers? it's so slow now and i want to check or maybe change the configuration/setup.

You dont mention which version of the OS or the specific type of hardware. So....

On older Alpha hardware, setting the nic speed is usually done at the boot prompt (>>>) with a command similar to this:

set tu0 FastFD

To see the settings, type:

show *

at the >>> prompt.

Of course its been quite some time since I played with older Alpha hardware and 4.X versions of the OS so the above commands may not be 100% correct.

For newer hardware and 5.x+ of the OS, this is how to check the speed:

hwmgr -get attr -cat network -a name -a full_duplex -a media_speed

which should result in a display similar to this:

58:
name = ee0
full_duplex = 1
media_speed = 100
59:
name = ee1
full_duplex = 0
media_speed = 10
71:
name = ee2
full_duplex = 0
media_speed = 10
72:
name = ee3
full_duplex = 0
media_speed = 10

Notice I have 4 nic cards. Of the 4, only 1 is in use and it is at 100 (media speed) Full Duplex (full duplex=1). Everything is defaulted to 10 half.

Using the above output for an example, to set nic ee1 to 100 Full duplex, use this command (as root):

/usr/sbin/lan_config -i ee1 -s 100 -x 1

This can be done from the command line with immediate results - no reboot required.

To make this permament (for reboots), enter the above line in /etc/inet.local. If it doesnt exist, create it with perms 755 and make the owner:group root:system.

scott

hi scott,

you mean, editing /etc/inet.local and saving it with the following entry:

/usr/sbin/lan_config -i ee1 -s 100 -x 1

and giving it a permission (chmod 755)

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root system 40 Dec 30 2002 inet.local@ -> ../cluster/members/{memb}/etc/inet.local*

thanks.

Yep, that would do it - for the next reboot. If you want those changes effective now, just issue the command at the prompt (as root).

another quick and dirty way is do a man of ifconfig...

pay attention to the "speed" values

then try:

ifconfig <interface,eg tu0> speed <value>

Good luck

How helpfull is this?

Here I am wondering how to force Tru64 5.1b to make ee0 full duplex, as it detects half on boot, and the first message I see is the one!

Top!

Marco

Hi,

I have tried to do all this.. but when I ftp a file it still takes for ever. Is there any other way to do this?

&quot;ifconfig tu0 speed 200&quot; sets the tu0 interface to full duplex, 10/100 ........UNTIL YOUR NEXT REBOOT, otherwise you'll have to set it in the SRM like above for it to be permanent...

Chris

Are you sure the port the system is plugged in to is set for 100 full? If you try to set the system at 100FD and the port is 10HD, the transfer will take forever - if it ever finishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back