Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Backspace key to actually delete the character

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoneguy44

Technical User
May 27, 2005
Guys,
My company just got procomm and we're using it to telnet to equipment.
I need to know how to change the backspace key to delete the character to the left of my TL1 command line.
Can someone walk me through it. I've tried to do it myself in keyboard mapping but I don't know what I'm doing.

Thanks
Dennis

What happens now when you hit the backspace key? Do you have another key that works the way you want it to work? Maybe the delete key?

Hi phoneguy,
Your situation may be different than mine but if you are using vt-100 or vt-220, then you should be able to through keyboard editing.
When you enter keyboard editor, double-click the backspace icon and a box should pop up where you can set options what you want it to do if you hit just backspace, or ctrl-backspace, etc.. In the top line called 'Normal' change the drop-down to 'Text w/ Echo' and in the box to the right of that type ^H. Make sure your entry options at the bottom is set to 'character'.
When you save and get out, you should have what you need.

If this doesn't work for you, there is a check box for 'destructive backspace' in the terminal options but I haven't had to use that. Depending on the system you're interfacing with, you may need to use this last option.
Let us know if that works for you.

Are you using the correct terminal emulation? What software were you using before?

Sometimes the Delete key is what you need instead of the Backspace key, but regardless you can use the Keyboard Editor to set it to the necessary value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back