Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing background colour on merged Excel cells doesn't work 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halliarse

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2007
GB
I have a project where I am populating and invoice template where the main body of the invoice has alternate lines that have a background colour of white and grey. Depending on the size / length of the invoice text, lines within the invoice are merged and then dependant on the invoice line count being odd / even, coloured accordingly. Unfortunately the code I'm using has no effect on the completed form (I've tried it without the code and it makes no difference), and I cannot see why the code is not actioning on the invoice!

Please can someone advise?

Code:
xlInvoiceWorkSheet.Cells.Range("A" & StartingLineCount & ":A" & StartingLineCount + InvoiceDescLineCount - 1).MergeCells = True
                        xlInvoiceWorkSheet.Cells.Range("B" & StartingLineCount & ":B" & StartingLineCount + InvoiceDescLineCount - 1).MergeCells = True
                        xlInvoiceWorkSheet.Cells.Range("E" & StartingLineCount & ":E" & StartingLineCount + InvoiceDescLineCount - 1).MergeCells = True
                        xlInvoiceWorkSheet.Cells.Range("F" & StartingLineCount & ":F" & StartingLineCount + InvoiceDescLineCount - 1).MergeCells = True

MergeCount += 1

' Check if MergeCount is Odd / Even and set cell background colour

xlInvoiceWorkSheet.Range("A" & StartingLineCount & ":F" & StartingLineCount + InvoiceDescLineCount - 1).Select()
                        xlInvoiceWorkSheet.Cells.Range("F" & StartingLineCount).Activate()

If CLng(MergeCount) Mod 2 > 0 Then
                            With xlApp.Selection.Interior
                                .patterncolorindex = Excel.Constants.xlAutomatic
                                .ThemeColor = Excel.XlThemeColor.xlThemeColorDark1
                                .TintAndShade = 0
                                .PatternTintAndShade = 0
                            End With
                        Else
                            With xlApp.Selection.Interior
                                .pattern = Excel.Constants.xlSolid
                                .patterncolorindex = Excel.Constants.xlAutomatic
                                .ThemeColor = Excel.XlThemeColor.xlThemeColorAccent3
                                .TintAndShade = 0.799981688894314
                                .PatternTintAndShade = 0
                            End With
                        End If

Many thanks

Steve

Hi,

Maybe uploading your workbook containing the invoice might help getting to a solution.

BTW, you're working in VBA. Maybe forum707 might be more appropriate.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Ok I have your invoice, but under what conditions are you having a problem. It is not evident.

Skip,
[sub]

Skip, I've attached a populated worksheet to assist.

As you can see, the merged rows 22-37 have the coloured background, but these should be transparent as merged rows 15-19, based on my MergeCount being an odd number (3) for that invoice line.

I hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Steve

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b74adf03-95a4-4cca-9d0a-f1991378939a&file=5000.xlsx
According to your code, the variable MergeCount is key to this statement...
Code:
'
'...

Don't know why you're using CLng() since MergeCount ought to be declared as integer. Interger...Long should make no difference.

But if MergeCount gets incrimented by 1 each time the row is shaded, then Mod 2 will alternate between the two shades.

I'd put a break in your code to check the value before the If statement is executed.

Skip,
[sub]

Hi Skip

Yep, I've done that, also validated that it goes through the alternate code correctly and it does, but has no effect on the completed invoice. I removed the CLng()....not sure what my thinking was there!!

Strongm, that line of code does increment correctly, however I've also changed it to MergeCount = MergeCount + 1 with no change to the completed invoice

My point was that you were not working in VBA. += is not a VBA assignment operator. It is, however, a VB.NET operator.

By the way, is there a reason you are doing it this way, instead of sticking the multiple lines into a single cell and switching on word wrap?

I did originally have Word Wrap turned on but this gave rise to formatting issues with some of the text! I got round this by applying strict formatting rules to the text and length of each line and that works perfectly. The only issue I have is the colour formatting.

Give this a try
Code:
    ' Check if MergeCount is Odd / Even and set cell background colour

With xlInvoiceWorkSheet.Range("A" & StartingLineCount & ":F" & StartingLineCount + InvoiceDescLineCount - 1).Interior
'    xlInvoiceWorkSheet.Cells.Range("F" & StartingLineCount).Activate

.PatternColorIndex = Excel.Constants.xlAutomatic
            .ThemeColor = Excel.XlThemeColor.xlThemeColorDark1
            .TintAndShade = 0
            .PatternTintAndShade = 0
        Else
            .Pattern = Excel.Constants.xlSolid
            .PatternColorIndex = Excel.Constants.xlAutomatic
            .ThemeColor = Excel.XlThemeColor.xlThemeColorAccent3
            .TintAndShade = 0.799981688894314
            .PatternTintAndShade = 0
        End If
    End With

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back