Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing ASPNET User

Status
Not open for further replies.

vBean

Programmer
Jun 13, 2003
US
I need to give the ASPNET user full rights so it can have full access to network resources...how do I do this?

Or can I change the user that runs ASP.NET to another already setup user? (how?)

Your personal network? Company network? What? Either way you never give any account free reign. Obviously you've got something in mind but you've left that part out.

Personal network. I changed the ASPNET user to a user already setup on my server with the correct rights (more or less a super user) in the machine.config file and my ASP program works now. Basically I am accessing a file server on the network and qerying a database and need special permissions.

I have heard something about "Impersonate" too...how does that work?

First off, I have to re-iterate Veep's concerns over giving that account so much control. Depending on who can potentially access your system you may be jeopardising your security.

Secondly, here's an MSDN article on impersonation which you may find useful:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help finding an answer?

Try the search facility ( or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back