Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing APS Database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fischerp99

Technical User
Mar 17, 2002
AU
Hi,

I would like to change the APS Database (CINFO.MDB) on Seagate Info 7.0 to a MS SQL 7.0 Database. Can this be done?

And can specific info be exported from the old database to the new one? I only want report schedules.

Thanks.

Hi there

It certainly is possible to move from cinfo.mdb to SQL 7.
I have also been looking at the possibility, but upon further reading am not sure that I would get a great benefit from it.
If your system is sluggish, it seems that the move to SQL will speed up access to Seagate if there are lots of report servers accessing the data, and therefore improve Seagate performance.
I'm not sure about the export facility, but I think that everything has to be moved over.

Hope this helps

Steve

Upgrading the APS database to SQL7 is pretty easy. Download and review the Crystal Decisions whitepaper on the subject prior to starting. I believe it's called aps_dabase_migration.pdf and it covers both migration and clustering.

definitely, everthing has to be moved over.
There is a white paper on the Crystal support site that gives detailed instruction.
aps_database_migration.pdf

I wasn't able to find file with this name aps_database_migration.pdf

Hi,

Is this change really nessecary?

Change for the sake of change, "Causes Havoc", most times..

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Had a rough time "UPGRADING" recently, can ya tell???

Nuffsaid.

Well Access is good enough for small deployments. If the mdb file gets anywhere close to 15 or even 20 MB after repair & compact, a migration to SQl or Oracle definitely a good idea. If you have a lot of users with lots of authentication traffic, you will see an increase in speed.

Agree. I moved to SQL after size of Access DB exeeded 40 MB and the performance ( especially on establishing connection) was terrible. SQL improved that.

Can some users out there help me out and let me know how much time and effort it took them to move the system database from Access 97 to SQL Server. Our system database is at 110 MB. I have an IT department that says the conversion is a "significant project" and they refuse doing it despite documentation from Seagate and powerusers of SQL Server and Access that say it is necessary.

The whole thing probably 1 hrs with backup, rebooting. In the most cases you're done in 30-40 min. Backup is the key, you never know what can go south.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back