Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing a writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Element74

Technical User
Mar 23, 2005
US
I’m a user with lots of permissions, limited knowledge, and no programmer. In addition to being somewhat lost when things go wrong, I often worry that my attempts to fix them will create more problems.

--First, I should probably mention I ran a full backup last week (opt 21). I’m not sure if that’s relevant to my issue, but I didn’t have this problem until after the backup. Everything seemed to come back up OK, and all the subsystems seem to be functioning properly. At least, I think they are.

The problem: I run a program at the beginning of each month that generates 40 files and then emails them. On Monday, I ran that program and later found all the files sitting in my spool file. (Normally, I don’t even see them; the program runs and the files are instantly sent out.) I discovered the files weren’t associated with an active printer (probably because they don’t print…they get emailed), but I’ve never had these files caught in my spool file before so I’ve never seen what sends them out. Long story short, out of nine available printers (in WRKWTR), I changed ONE of the files to what I thought might send it out and ALL of the files printed instead.

I deleted the files and ran the program again, but now the files always want to go to the writer I changed them to that one time. If I go to WRKOUTQ and put an 8 on the line of queue they are in (WSPMSG, if that helps), I can see the writer I sent the files to. I want to change it back to “Writer active: N” and “Writer name(s) if active: (blank)”, which is what I think the queue was before I changed it, but can’t figure out how to do this. Do I need to go somewhere else to change the writer for that queue?

The original problem I was trying to fix was sending the files out. Where would I look to see what (a program? a certain writer?) actually sends the files? Are the resolutions to these problems in areas a user like me shouldn’t get into (like code)?

Any help is greatly appreciated. If I’ve left out any important details, please don’t hesitate to ask; I’ll do my best to provide them.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back