Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing a comport

Status
Not open for further replies.

lidehall

Programmer
Feb 11, 2004
SE
Hello everyone!
I have two modems installed on my comp. one virtual Mica for VPN client and one standard. I installed the Mica to run on comport 5 and want the standard modem to run on comport 1. This seems to be impossible due to absens of possibility to choose comport 1. Does anyone knows how to change comport to the standard modem in winXP. If not I have to check the registry file and I would like not to :)...

Thank you all!

L.H DC

You probably cannot choose COM1 for your modem because the physical serial port on your motherboard is already COM1. If that is the case, you need to go into BIOS and disable COM1 so that the hardware cannot be used. Then try to reinstall your modem driver.

But that seems like a shame. Is there a reason that you feel like you have to have the modem on COM1?

pansophic

The thing is that when I install my modem the only eligible option for comport is number 5 and this is hence choosen for my Mica modem. So any comport besides nr 5 is suitable for me. But not eligible when installing.

Thanks for you time!

L.H DC

Are you attempting to install 2 WinModems? It is not possible to install 2 WinModems (Controllerless or Host Controlled or Host Software) modems on a single PCI bus. These modems are cheap because they lack controller hardware, but they are not usable for multi-modem environments. You need to do one of the following if that is what you are describing:

Install 1 WinModem and 1 Controller based modem.
Install 1 WinModem and 1 external modem.
Install a multi-modem card (RocketModem, etc.).
Install 2 external modems.

Good luck!

pansophic

Agreed, what exactly is the modem? You say standard modem, but when you install a modem and are forced to use a specific com port, sounds like a winmodem.

Matt J.

P.S. Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

The virtual modem is only a software that I've installed a time ago. When I try to install the real modem there is not optional to install it to any comports besides from nr 5. I've tried to uninstall both modems and reinstall the real one, this attemp failed due to lack of comports to install.
Why isn't any comports available besides from nr 5???

Many Thanks!

L.H DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back