Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changin' IRQ's in win2k, conflicts/freez ups/3dfx...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
xsevenx (Visitor) Jul 4, 2001
MY irq's:
voodoo 9
scsi host adapter 9
creative sb live (pci) 9
intel usb 2442 9
intel usb 2444 9
realtek fast eathernet 9

It cant be good to have all these set to 9 can it?

My comp. keeps freezin' up totally. No keyboard, mouse, no alt-control-delete...nothing.

I noticed that it happens a LOT MORE frequently when my display settings are set real high...like 1280x 1024...

So I think it has something to do with my voodoo card, because in my manual it says that the voodoo (3,3000) should have an IRQ, and it says to check to make sure theres no conflicts.
Windows says theres no conflicts, but i think mabey there are.
Ive stripped my whole pc already, there is NO other problems.
Besides ive used this same set up for a year. the only diff. is i just reinstalled windows with a brand new motherboard....YES its compatible. (intel)
The only thing i can think of is that windows needs to be played with a little bit, as far as irqs go.
What do you think?

Sorry if this was to long....Please help me out.
THANKS to all the tek's out there.

I wouldn't bother playing with the IRQs. Win2K does a great job of IRQ sharing with reasonably recent hardware, and out of hundereds of mchines we have yet to manually fix an IRQ, even when being shared by so many devices. You installed a new motherbaord and then re-installed Windows from scratch? You have the latest video driver for your card? Hope this helps!

Heath Racine
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

I had this exact problem and what I did was folled this write up to a tee! (or a close as possible)
a few differences, I went with the updated drivers, and patches, ect ect ect, it works great now! been one week and I have gone from, a freeze up every minute (seemed like that often) to none yet, knock on wood. I should add, what kind of motherboard do you have? this works for asus a7v kt133 boards

l8tr

I think i fixed it by selecting irq9 for slot 1 agp in my bios...
i also downloaded the newest directx. (not sure if that had anything to do with it)

So far no freezes...its been all day.
it used to happen every hour or so.

sorry77venture...that article is like 20 pages long...i dont have time to read it, that is unless i keep running into the same problems...

and yes a073235, win2k from scratch, and the lates voodoo 200 drivers...although they wont be making anymore so ill probably have to upgrade my video card some time. no more 3dfx.

I know there is alot to read, but it was worth it for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back