Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changin configuration on a raid drive system

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorel

MIS
Jun 15, 2004
I have a 2003 system with 2 drives, one holds the OS and files, the other was being use just to hold files.

I would like to set the system up as a raid 1 (It has a raid controller) with one drive being the primary and the second one to be a mirror of the 1st one, but I need to do this without destroying the OS or the data on the primary drive. The info on the existing secondary drive is not important and can be safely be delete.

Can I do this? Can I change the configuration to make the secondary drive a mirror of the first without damaging the info on the primary drive?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe

Which RAID controller? Makes all the difference as to whether it's even possible. Is it advisable though?

I would shy away from messing with the existing drives though. Here is a procedure that I have proven works three times with Server 2003. You can do it for relatively cheap - the price of the RAID controller (Adaptec 1220sa 1420sa - 2 port or 4 port) and a few hard drives. You can choose your own brand of controller. I happen to like Adaptec.

The OS is migrated to the new RAID drives using Ghost/Acronis/other and then you can move data afterward.

I have a more detailed, blow by blow procedure if you want to go that way. The benefit is NOT messing around with the actual hard drives used for OS and data. You can abort any time and go back - as long as you don't REVERSE image from new/blank to old drives. That is death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back